Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday, March 5, 1999

I've been thinking about Cindy & Albert so was glad to hear Julianna Marie arrived safe & sound.  Thanks for the address - I want to send a card to them.

We woke up to snow & wind yesterday & there was no school.  You've probably read that the seniors are upset as they have to change the graduation date.

Tues. was my Dr. appt.  Margie, physician's assistant, checked me out.  I needed a blood test & the hosp. is close by & I didn't have to fast so I got the test & go back on Wed. for instructions if it is the thyroid.  It was a beautiful day so I walked home & enjoyed that.

 Wed a representative from Hosp. Home Care came to check Carl out.  He said I definitely need help.  Yesterday someone from Hospice came but you can only have their help if the patient has 6 mo. or less to live & the Dr. must make that choice.  And Parkinson's is hard because it isn't a life killing disease.  I don't know what will happen.  The easiest thing would be to put Dad in a nursing home & that is never a choice   He stays home as long as we can care for him.  Barb & Dale are good to help.

Mark Patterson came over & we made arrangements.  We both decided on cremation previously & you can rent a casket for that.  Tues the 9th Lar & I will choice a casket.  T his way when the time comes, that process is done.  We prepare for birth so we need to prepare for death & it's easier as you reach late 70s & 80s.  It's a fact of life.

I can't remember you visiting Polk Center (new name) & I can't remember your late night house party.  Can't even remember having anything special for "munchies".  So it couldn't have been that bad, or noisy.

So Ruthie died.  A blessing as she was bad for a long time.  Someone called Mon. nite (1st) & Dale got the message as Barb & I got groceries & missed the call.  I wrote a note & sent a memorial check but it won't get mailed til tomorrow.

JoAnna, a week has gone by in your new job.  How are things going?  I know there is a period of adjustment but I know you will go into it "full speed ahead", do a wonderful job, have new learning experiences and will love it.  We think of all of you everyday.

Will Andy have a brief spell of no practices or does he go ahead into another sport.  You are never at a loss as to where the next practice is, time & all.  It's a great experience for the boys.

We look forward to your visit.  I'm already planning for it.  Tell Andy stuffed pork chops will be on the menu.

Barb takes care of Scott today.  Yesterday he went to the Y so she didn't have to work.

Dad is still sleeping but I'll get him up soon.  One load of wash is soon ready for the dryer.  He's in p.j.'s now most of the time as he likes to nap in bed.  More comfortable than the chair.  Won't chew or swallow so it's a liquid diet.

Hospice just called & they said Dad can be in Hospice so someone & a Hospice nurse will come at 11 A.M. They would like someone in the family present.  I'll call Lar as it is easiest for him to get away.

Hospice was over this A.M. & already things are moving.  They are bringing in a hosp. bed & a belt that helps you hang onto him or help pull him up.  Next Mon, Wed, Fri. someone will come to bathe him, etc.  The nurse examined him & his blood pressure is high.

Dr. McNett's office called & I have hyperactive thyroid - that's why I lost weight.  I will take 3 pills a day.  Will see the Dr. the 19th & must have a blood test first.  Mon. of that week I go to the hosp. for orientation, Tues eye fixed, Wed. to eye Dr. for a check, Thurs. McNett.  So I won't get much done this week.  The following week Sat. you come.  But I'll be set.

The case worker for Hospice Ellen Ruffalo said to me "You're independent aren't you".  I said yes.  I guess I want to do things myself but I've hit a rock that won't move.

The hosp. bed came but it won't fit in the eating area so it's in the dining room alongside the window.  I'll have to rearrange the D.R. a bit.  But I'll have the eating area back & I like that a lot.

Dale needs a new mattress.  Wonder if he'd take the twin bed until he gets a new one.  What do I do with it is the question.  Too good just to set aside.

Time to bring this to a close & get to the dining rm.  Need to move the table, etc.

You know what is happening here.

No comments:

Post a Comment