Saturday, January 10, 2015

Saturday, July 1, 2006



I'm sure you know I watched the Mets defeat the Yankees on Fox TV.  Sun. nite they're on ESPN.  The Mets are hitting again, thank goodness!  Tonite I'll watch the Braves.  I'm anxious to hear what the Brave announcers have to say now that the Mets won.  Whenever the Mets lose, they think the Braves will beat them.  I'm hoping it is just wishful thinking but in baseball you never can tell.

This A.M. I was up at 6 A.M.  I wanted to bake before it got too hot.  I made the usual coffee cake, baked a crust for a strawberry pie & finished baking the choc. cooky dough from the freezer.

At lunch I asked Dale for menu suggestions.  The only one gave me was pizza.  So I ordered pizza for supper, made a salad & had strawberry pie for dessert.

Last Thurs. nite Barb was going to fix herself a cup of tea before going to bed.  The microwave made a funny noise -- it gave up the ghost.  Fri. when we went to the Mall, we looked for a micro &^ found one we liked at Kmart.  A Kenmore & the front is easier to read & I like that.  So we bo't it & used my Sears charge card.  It is set up & I like it a lot.

Sheila was telling me the author of "Marley & Me" is coming to Warren Oct. 16.  In Dec. the book wasn't a hit aty first.  Our library decided to contact him & ask him to speak in Warren.  They finally heard & our library was the first to contact him so he said he'd come here for $6,000.  He didn't have an agent then & hadn't signed a contract.  And then the book got very popular & he was in demand.  So our library wondered if he'd come.  They finally heard he would come for the $6,000.  But now he has an agent & his fee would be $12,000.  So Warren is very lucky to get him so cheaply.  I bet Kim will want to go.

When we came home freom the Mall -- now we have to use 3rd Ave, bridge work -- we noticed a new awning on the old Foreman grocery store, now the GOP headquarters.  On the front lap of the awning is R.E.P.U.B.L.I.C.A.N. HQ's in big letters.  I teased Barb & said she'd have to see that whenever she goes over town.

Fri when I turned to Buffalo NBC TV for teh news they were talking & showing pictures of a tornado that hit Cheektowaga at 3 pm.  No one was killed but a big truck overturned but cars didn't.  Trees & wires down but not a lot of damage to buildings.  The roof was blown off the Subway store roof.

It finally dried out enough so Dale moved the lawn.  Fri several neighbors around us moved their lawns.  It was plenty long with all the rain & yet we were lucky not to have the flooding.
 
The hanging baskets on the porch are looking so good.  In fact so do the pots & the veggie garden.  

Sun. aft.

Do you remember Cindy DeChano who is very active at St. Paul?  Her daughter Lisa was in church this A.M.  She wears "heels" & is at least 6 foot tall & looks so good.  She is a professor at a college in San Marcos, Tx the last I heard.  They also have a son who also lives in Texas.

Last nite Barb was grumbling -- "I don't know why he has to be there," meaning V. Pres Cheney.  She wanted to watch the NASCAR race & he was a guest of the announcers.  She couldn't listen to him!  She is another G.O.P. hater!

She also had another gripe.  We have a noisy bird in the area & it drives her crazy.  Just like the tick tock of the clock in the living room.  She can't ignore it.  Half of the time I never heard the bird or the clock.  And that doesn't mean I'm losing my hearing.  I don't let it bother me.

I'm watching women's golf.  Michelle Wie is playing & I like to watch her.  I also like to see the outfits the women wear, esp. the young ones.

July 5th

We had a quiet 4th.  It was a cool, showery A.M. but they had the parade, etc.  We had steak, salad & potato salad on the 4th.  Have to celebrate a little.  I watched a PBS special "A Capital Fourth" & enjoyed it.  Jason Alexander was the host & talented.  Didn't realize he could dance & sing.  I've gotten to recognize him through the Seinfeld program.   I'm getting very familiar with all of the repeats.  Dale's choice when we eat at 6 pm.

Today is cooler & no humidity.  Just perfect.

Tomorrow Barb plans to go to Wegman's for groceries, so I decided to finish this letter so she can mail it.  Got ambitious & wrote to Millie.

Been thinking of both of you a lot this week with all the things you need to accomplish for your Sat. party.  I know JoAnna has a lot of foods to prepare.  After Sat. she won't want to think of any food preparations for awhile.

Didn't realize I didn't finish the 3rd page.

Guess I'll check the mail box & get things ready for lunch.

P.S./  I scared myself this A.M.  I couldn't find my purse & looked all over for it.  I knew it was in the house as I have the charge slip for the microwave.  Finally found it in the living room by the one chair that I nap on.  Looked there once but it was a dark corner.  Found it the 2nd time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment