Sunday, March 3, 2013

Saturday, December 6, 2003


I hope you had a nice birthday.  Decided to try calling in the A.M. this time but it still didn't work out.  Maybe it will work for Ed's birthday.  I called at 10 A.M. your time.  Andy said I didn't get him out of bed, but maybe he was just being nice.

Yesterday I made 2 pies for church -- a graham cracker but I was disappointed with the meringue but the vanilla pudding came out good.  The 2nd pie had a cheesecake type felling & pie filling cherries on top.  It looked good.  I also made cookies, a new recipe from the latest "family Circle" magazine.   you make a cooky crust & bake it 20 min.  Then a syrup of butter, brown sugar & honey.  Bring it to a boil & boil 5 min.  Then add 1/2 c. cream & 3 cups pecans & cashews.   Pour it over the crust & bake.  Very rich & delicious   Barb says like pecan pie.  Plan to make another batch before Christmas.  Will give some away. After I got them to church & came home & made a pumpkin pie.  Just had a piece -- I love pumpkin pie, and a apple loaf for Dale's snack.  I sample one crust & it is a good recipe.

Dale has to go to school 2 days this week.  Leaves Tues. after work & home on Thurs. Rochester this time.

Also finished wrapping gifts & so did Barb.  They look pretty under the tree.

After lunch I took a little nap in my chair.  Finished a.m. ironing -- just a small amount -- mostly pressing.  The only reason it got done, I wanted to wear my new slacks on Sun. so that pushed me.  And I still had time to address Christmas cards.  I want to start writing small notes to some I only hear from at Christmas.

Now I'm taking it easy as all may chores have been accomplished.

When I read your letter & you said only 3 of the football team went out for basketball, I got the picture out to see the other two playing basketball.  Also looked at Miles again as his name comes up a lot in your letters.

I'm thinking of having something different for Christmas -- cornish hens.  I'd like something different for Christmas Eve as well but I haven't come across anything interesting.

Mon. Dec 8

After lunch I got a perm & it's nice to have more curl again.

Made lasagna for supper & it was pretty good but I'd like to improve on it.  Used the "no boil" lasagna. I can never cook the other because they always split a bit.

After I did my Mon. chores I started on notes for Christmas cards.  My list isn't as large so it's easier.  On the thank you card from Gerald I noticed the address was different:  1474 Railroad Lake Rd.  Florence.  It surprised me.

Barb got a large fire truck for the boy from the name on the Salvation Army.  He'll get 3 toys & pants, shirt & pj's so one 6 yr. old should be a little happier on Christmas.  Next year I'll take an older children's name & have Barb & Dale go in on gifts.  Older ones want more expensive things & clothes, etc. are more expensive.  Some ask for bicycles, etc.

Wed. Dec. 10

Just came back from the dentist -- lost a filling.  Last Fri. as I was eating one of my cookies I'd made, I felt something hard & moved my tongue around & felt a hole.  So I called & was lucky to get in today.  As soon as I got there my name was called & the dentists started right in so I was only there 1/2 hour & it cost me 60.00, but worth it to keep my teeth.

Dale doesn't go to Rochester until today -- they'll be 2 of them, leave right way after work & Dale will be home Fri. maybe around 7-8 pm  He told me what it was for but I can't remember it.

I haven't done much this week -- just taking it easy.  It's hard to dust with the Christmas decorations & Dale vacuums the rugs.

Closer to Christmas I'll make 4 kinds of cookies, maybe a couple more & then I have to make 2 batches of my rolls for Dale at work.  Christmas Eve day they don't do much & have a pot luck at lunch & then they are thru.  And they always want Dale to bring my rolls.  I'll do it as long as I can. 2 weeks & the big day will be here -- or the 2 big days.

Thurs. the 11th

We will be only 3 for dinner.  Kim will be with girl friends for a get together.  Next week we'll eat earlier as Kim will have a get together at her place.

I have 2 more notes to write in cards & then I'll be thru.  The rest are sealed, stamped & ready to mail.  I'm glad that's over.  Now to making cookies but I wait a bit on that.

Yesterday Barb took me to the dentist & I said I'd walk home.  Dr. Walters' office is in the lower level so I had steps to climb.  I was a little scared but had no reason to be.  No problem with the stairs or walking home.  Funny how we make things hard for ourselves by imagining things.  Haven't walked over town but I'm sure I can.  Not being able to walk compares to one having to give up driving & deending on others.  At least for me.

Made apple crisp for dessert & of course I had to sample it & it's good.  One of my favorites.  In a short time Ed will be 13 years old.  Another teenager!  Of course one forgets but things weren't  so bad when you 4 were teenagers.

Fri A.M.

We're having snow flurries but we still plan to go to Jamestown after I get my hair done.  I know I had a perm on Mon. but I like ti washed on Fri as usual.

Soon time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment