Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday, January 18, 2004


Soon time for the football game.  Have been working on my puzzle & it is soon finished.  No help needed this puzzle.

After church today, they were having a potluck.  I didn't go as I had to make dinner here.  It was to be a Thank You for Marv Gustafson who was responsible for holding the church together during the vacancy.  He is a good leader & has a lot of experience in his job before retirement.  But he was sick today & couldn't be there.  He joined the church during Dad's time & has been very faithful.

Congratulations to Any for passing the test the first time.  Way to go!  The other nite the telephone rang & it was unknown number so I didn't answer.  Then a voice said "pick up grandma" & I did & said "Andy".  He answered "I must have the wrong number".

Called Millie Fri. nite & we must have talked 3/4 hr.  She could move into her place Feb. 1st but she wants to sell her house first.  It's had a few showings.  One couple is coming back for a 2nd look.  She hopes to move in Mar 1st.

Gen isn't doing well at all.  John turned off the stove -- disconnected it -- so she can't turn it on & forget.  And she has forgotten how to use the microwave.  She doesn't get out except when John takes her out at dinner time, but that's not really getting out in my estimation.   Millie said Edith's house sold for over $200,000. Lucky guy -- John got the money.

Did you ever meet Warren Luthgren, my cousin.  He used to work for Milton Bradley but he & a friend started their own business & did very well.  He sold out his part & retired.  He & his wife both had back operations.  Warren is a paraplegic but Millie didn't know how it came about.  He's doing well, has a special van so he can drive & get about.  He sings in the church choir & in a men's group & they sing in nursing homes, etc.  I haven't seen him since I left home -- we were never that close.  He had 2 sons.  A sister, Barbara is married & no children.

Millie also said she will be the oldest person in the retirement home.  Usually at her age people need assisted living.  She hopes she can have happy years there.  She'll be glad not to have the responsibility of owning a home.

The last week of Jan. there will be not tax on clothing in New York.  So Barb & I hope to go to the Mall Jan 26th.

The sun is out & it is so nice to see it, but the temps are still low.

Barb talked to Bert & she might not be home by the end of the month.  She made a quick turn & lost her balance, fell & hurt her back.  So more doctoring.  When you're older it is so easy to make a move & lost your balance.  You forget some things you can't do anymore.  I know because it has happened to me, but so far I've been able to catch myself.  I'm also very careful using stairs as I don't want to fall.

I can see it is an exciting time at the library.  Before you know it things will be back to normal.  The interview of Grace F. was very interesting & very complimentary to the staff & of course my son!  After all you are the leader that makes it work!  After all you are in the picture -- you work the desk, etc.  In my years here, I've never seen the library director in our library.


Tues the 20th
We went for groceries Mon. aft. as the weather report said 3-5" of snow overnite.  But it didn't turn out that way, but I was glad we didn't have to go out.  This A.M. I started Danish.  Made pie crust for a pumpkin pie to go with chili for supper.  Also made dinner rolls.  So I'm glad to sit & watch TV.  This is Dale's late Tues.

I'm watching WJET TV Erie & our temp is 11 with a 0 wind chill.  Cold & snow all week. Where, oh where is our Jan. thaw!  Edinboro has already had 85" of snow -- some 60" for Erie.  We have winter & piles of snow.  What about you?

A group of young people hope to go to Juarez, Mexico in June, so they are raising funds. The last Sun. of the month they will have a bake sale after services so I've been looking over cooky recipes.  They will assist in building 2 homes for needy families.

Thurs. the 22nd
The weather channel said Green Bay is minus 15" snow & Cleveland is quite a bit above its regular amt. of snow.  I'm sure Wrrn. is above its regular now level, & I'm getting tired of snow & the cold temps.

I called Betty Casey yesterday to see how she is doing   On top of everything she's had the flu.  Next week she goes to Erie to see a cardiologist.  Then I called Rose S. to see how things are with her.  Karen is home to have a gall bladder operation.  But she plans to return to Canada.  I think Rose has a real concern with all the problems of Karen.  Even if Karen is a grown woman, she is still a concern for Rose.  Last nite when I got up to go to the bathroom, I noticed Dale's door was completely opened -- it's usually opened just a bit -- so I turned on the hall light to see if he was in bed. It was 2 A.M.  He was.  So as long as they are home, they are a mother's concern, even if they shouldn't be,

Tomorrow I get a trim when I get my hair done & I really need one.

Then we'll go to the library to return books & get more.

Then to the Mall -- I have a check to cash.  Barb used my chg. card to buy a TV & there was a $20.00 rebate so I'll cash that.  It goes in the food money & then I make my check for food less.  That's how I use the money she repays me -- otherwise I'll just spend it unwisely.  In Feb I just take 1/2 of my budget for food.  Can you understand my wanderings.  Enough of that.

All is well with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment