Saturday, December 3, 2011

Friday, March 12, 1999

Artwork by Eddie Nelson

Lar said he talked to you Wed nite so you know the details of what is going on here.  I'm waiting for the Hospice nurse to come & check on Dad & then the aide comes to wash him.  He has a few bed sores - he doesn't get up - sleeps most of the time.  We are to turn him from side to side periodically but it isn't easy as he is very rigid - part of Parkinson's.  He hasn't wanted to eat since last Mon. & takes very little water.  His body is shutting down.  It is so hard to see him esp. when we are eating a good meal & he can't or won't eat.   They told me to wash out his mouth with a small sponge like on a stick.  When I tried yesterday he shut his mouthy & wouldn't let me do it.  So there is still some awareness.

Last Wed. after the R.N. was here, I decided to call the Dr's office & post pone by cataract removal.  And it was like a big burden was lifted.  I couldn't lift after that & I have to do some lifting.  And if Dad leaves us this weekend it wouldn't work out.

The pastor was over but Dad didn't wake up so he didn't have communion.  Ray Forstrom was over yesterday & he had a brief prayer as the nurse arrived at the same time.  All the people from Hospice are so nice - it is a wonderful service.

I've been making out my grocery list to make sure I have the things the boys like.  I have the choc. cookies for Andy & the choc. chip for Paul in the freezer.  Eddie's I make just before you come.  They are better not frozen.

Got your letter yesterday.  Great news about Andy's basketball winning games & his scoring.  Nice to think those fellows will be together in sports.  Some deep friendships will be formed.  Maybe you'll outstay the previous Lib. Director.



We too have snow on the ground.  Had 6-8" this past week.

Did you see how much snow Rochester had this past week.  Think it added up to 48" from 2 storms in one week.

Once all this is finished, I'll have plenty to keep me busy, to make it easier to adjust. I haven't really cleaned the house that good.  The rugs need shampooing & I'd like to get the sofa & love seat recovered.  And our bedroom needs a good cleaning.  That will be therapy for me.

It is so nice to have the eating area back.  Didn't realize I'd miss it so much.  Dale agrees, too.

We have the D.R. table close to the bed so it's easier to care for Dad.  The table is covered with things to help him.  Clean towels for washing him, plastic gloves, liquid soap & lotion, kleenex etc. so it makes it much handier.

We squeezed around the round table last nite - 5 of us so it was tight.  Kim somehow spilled her hot coffee on her lap.  She had to go home & change her pants.  Altho I offered her a Depend!!!  She didn't want to borrow Barb's pants.  I'm so lucky to have 2 wonderful daughters-in-law.  Hope Dale can someday find someone.

Barb & Kim are now L.A. basketball fans seeing Scotty & Rodman play there.

You'll have a busy time in Chicago with all you've planned.  Two lucky boys,.  The 27th will come fast & I'm looking forward to your visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment