Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday, April 29, 1999

We've had a beautiful week of sunny weather.  Dale mowed the lawn last nite & took the Monte Carlo to work today.  Barb planted peas yesterday.

Went to the library & got 3 books & already read 2 of them.  "M is for Malice" by Sue Grafton & really enjoyed this book.  Also "Homecoming by Belva Plain, Another good story about an estranged family & how the grandmother tired to solve the problem.  Glad my eye is better as it's easier to read & do the crossword puzzles.

I have a carrot cake in the oven & it smells so good.

I got the nicest letter from a Lloyd Johnson who was Dad's roommate at Augie for 2 years.  I never met him or his wife but we exchange Christmas cards & I wrote to tell him of Dad's death.  I'll the enclose the letter.

I cleaned the little closet in our room & found the history of the Nelson family & one little page of Grandma N's family from the 1600's.  Have you received the papers from Ruth yet.



The Mets finally won a game & the Braves Glavine got a win.  It's good to watch baseball again - mostly with the volume turned down - don't like some announcers.

Not much is happening here so this will be a short letter.

Just finished dishes & cleaning up.  Thurs. Kim, Lar & Torey come over.

Tomorrow Barb & I are going to Jamestown for lunch & shopping.

Next Fri. we're going to the Grove City Outlets with Kim.  She has to use her personal days or lose them so she's taking a day off.  Mother's Day outing.

Got your letter today.  Was glad to hear Andy made the baseball team.  Our athlete.

I know I'm tired of hearing about Littleton & the networks won't let it go as it attracts listeners & viewers.

Barb is going thru her clothes & found a sweater vest - white with floral trim embroidery & wondered if I could wear it.  It looks nice - I like it a lot - delicate & pretty.

We'll be getting railing for the front steps.  Some one Lar & Kim know.  It's an after work job so it might take awhile but eh does an excellent job so it's worth waiting for.

Soon bedtime so I'll bring this to a close.  We are all fine here.


Letter from Lloyd Johnson (dated April 20, 1999)

Dear Marion,

Helen and I extend our sincere sympathy to you and are very sorry Carl had to endure a long period of suffering before his death.  Our feelings go out to you for what you went through during Carl's illness.  Thank you very much for your letter giving us this sad news.

Carl was a year older than me and therefore a year ahead of me in school.  Although we lived in the same neighborhood, we had very little contact with each other except at church.  We were in the same Confirmation Class and shared many experiences in church.

I worked for three years before going to Augustana.  Carl was a Junior when I enrolled as a Freshman.  I was assigned a room in the dorm where Carl and he just happened to see me when I arrived.  He was not aware of my coming to Augie.  He took me to my room, told me not to unpack and then left.  He returned in a short time and told me his roommate had agreed to trade places with me.  I thanked him but I don't think I ever let him know how grateful I was.  He got me off to a good start and was a strong influence on me during our two years together.  I came to Augie with a real purpose to prepare myself for engineering studies at the U. of Ill. after 2 years at Augie and Carl's good study habits rubbed off on me.  He was also a meticulous housekeeper and after watching him vacuum, mop and dust a couple of times, my conscience moved me to participate in that activity also.  Although Carl was a serious scholar, he also had a very good sense of humor so we shared a lot of laughs together.

The only time I saw Carl after leaving Augie was sometime in the 1950's when he attended a convention in Milwaukee.  He visited us in our home and preached the Sunday sermon in our church.  It was a short but pleasant visit.

I apologize for my rambling on but wanted you to know how Carl influenced my life as I'm sure he did many others.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment