Sunday, March 18, 2012

Saturday, September 23, 2000


It is nice to hear that you & Eddie, Paul, will come for my 80th birthday.  It is hard to believe I will be 80.  Millie is 85 so maybe there are more years ahead for me.  I had a Dr. appt. for Fri. the 13th but I cancelled it & will go the 27th.  Don't care to spend the aft. at the Dr.'s office when you are here.  Maybe we can get to lunch at the Plaza.

Our get together luncheon date for the 25th is postponed.  Ted & Pat Benson are leaving Sun. to visit their daughter & new granddaughter.  Anna & Warren H. will still have company from their anniversary party.  They don't have a very nice day for it -- we've just had a hard shower & more are forecast.

I'm back to reading.  Stayed up last nite til 11:30 pm to finish The Alibi by Sandra Brown.  It was so good.  I've already read several of Anne Perry's novels but never the first one -- The Cater Street Hangman -- a Victorian novel.  It tells how the daughter of a middle class family falls in love with an Inspector policeman who is considered below her class.  They marry & she is a big help in solving the crimes in her novels concerning Insp. Pitt.  I've enjoyed reading them.

I have to put some of my summer clothes away in the attic but I want to be sure the bats are gone.

Was also glad to hear you'll be coming for Thanksgiving.  I've already started to think about plans & menus.   And of course -- cookies!
Dale is driving the Blazer now.  He works til noon this Sat. & after work he plans to align the wheels.  They have a new computerized machine that figures it all.  Dale was telling me how it works & of course I don't understand any of it, but I listen as it is good for him to talk about things at work.

Just about lunch time so more later.

Kim stopped by with Torey for a quick cup of coffee.  She still has to go to the grocery store.

Barbara started her Christmas shopping yesterday.  It is time for gift ideas!  We can talk about it when you are here so please start to think about it.


Sun:  I had the wrong date at the beginning of this letter.  Reason - I have 2 calendars, one on Sept. & one on Oct.  Looked at the Oct. page.  Time goes fast enough.

Arlene Hornstrom was in church today.  Her illness surely has changed her.  She still can't do all the things she'd like to.  Her busy life is a thing of the past.

I'm watching St. Louis at Atlanta -- football on Fox.  Was watching Pittsburgh but I couldn't take it they are so bad.  They are playing Tenn.  Just checked & they are tied 13-13 so my face is red!  Tenn. just got a field goal so it's 16-13.  I'll go back to Fox TV.  I like St. Louis but Barb doesn't -- because of Buffalo.

Buffalo paper had an article on the two Niagara Falls.  The Canadian city is growing & doing well, while the N.Y. Falls is going down due to poor management.  It said people stay an average of 4 hrs. in N.Y. & then go on to Canada so it is the Canadian hotels & eating places that are flourishing while the N.Y. Falls are less than half full and no really good restaurants.  But they have plans for the future.  We always considered the Canadian side prettier.

Pittsburgh just went ahead of Tenn. with a T.D.  Can they keep ahead - time will tell.  They couldn't.

Mon A.M. - the 25th

Lar & Dale are digging up the driveway.  Lar is taking the first load to camp to put by the stream to prevent erosion.  Lar has a jack hammer to break it up.  I'm sure that will take a couple of days to break it up, etc.

Careys wanted Barb to "baby sit" the dogs while they go to Fla. for 2 weeks.  But that is the time Bob & Lynn will go to Fla. & she will take care of their 2 cats & 1 dog.  At Carey's it means she would have to sleep there & that doesn't interest her.  The money isn't that important.  Bert leaves today for 2 weeks in Fla.  Maybe you could see her house on Market St.  The 2nd house beyond the Crary's Art Museum -- the same side.  More later.

After supper:  There is 1 block left to break up.  The side edge is out - Dad always hated that.  He would approve of this project!  Lar & Dale worked hard breaking up the cement & lifting it into the truck.  This first stuff went to Monty's place.  The smaller pieces that are left will go to Lar's place.

Tell Andy we got his tank you notes.

Last nite I watched the story of murders in N. Calif.  Up to 14 murders.  On Discovery Channel 2 hr. program so another late nite for me.  But I had a hard time getting to sleep so I guess it isn't a good pre-bedtime story.

Forgot to add -- Dale said his arms feel a little sore.


Now it's Thurs. Wed A.M. (Guess I'm not with it) the 26th.

All the cement is gone & Lar is leveling it out with his new piece of expensive machinery - the tractor with a back hoe & bucket.  Nice to have it, as it saves a lot of back breaking work.

Lar was here a little after 8 this A.M. -- usually it's been around 9 A.M.  Torey comes along.  I didn't hear them come & Tor comes upstairs to my room -- I didn't expect him & I jumped a little.  He wanted his cheese.  Now he's under the D.R. table.

I want to go over to the bank today.  Lar will have to haul away the excess dirt & Tor goes with him so I should be able to go then.

Want to mail this so I'll bring it to an end with our love to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment