Friday, March 23, 2012

Sunday, October 29, 2000

It's your birthday, Paul -- wish we were closer to help you celebrate.

Arlene H. was in church today.  John brought her home for the weekend.  John said he doesn't remember too many people anymore but he said I look the same so he knows me.  She mentioned the church Julie's family go to has a black pastor & Arlene likes him a lot.

Talked to Rose this week.  Think I wrote Karen had surgery.  Well Kim saw Karen's close friend & it was plastic surgery -- on stomach, arms & what else I don't know.  They took another mortgage on the house to pay for it.  Insurance wouldn't.  Reminds me of the song "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets."  Substitute Karen's name.

The torn up lawn is now seeded &^ the edges filled in & seeded, thanks to Larry.  It was so nice to see the 2 cars parked side by side in front of the garage doors.  2 more projects -- new sidewalk & roof.  Time will tell when they get done.  Altho next spring they want to put a brick walk in front of the garage to the back door.  Now the bricks are a little higher & they want it level.  Plenty of brick left for the project.

Should write to Ruth but seeing there is only a little over 3 weeks til Thanksgiving, I'll look for Thanksgiving cards & write then.

Sent an order to L. L. Bean yesterday.  There was a sweater, at a price I could afford, Barb wanted.  But it was sold out.  Lar saw a couple of flannel shirts he liked so some more shopping of gifts was accomplished.  Got my Christmas Club check on Fri. & will cash it tomorrow.  Have to go to PNC bank to get money for monthly expenses.  Christmas Club check comes from Northwest.  $500.00.  Kim got hers also.

I made out a preparation plan for Thanksgiving.  Look for dust in corners -- make sure I know where my recipes are, cookies made, grocery list, etc.  I need it in front of me or I'm apt to forget something.

My mind's a blank so I'll stop & maybe more thoughts will come on what to write about.

You'll never guess what I just did.  I'd gotten Christmas wrap on sale after Christmas so I wrapped the gifts I have for Paul & JoAnna.  Wanted to get them out of my room so I can straighten it up a bit.

Buff. & N.Y. J's are tied 20-20 & Buff has the ball with 1 min. to go.  Barb is at Johanson's & she must be on needles & pins. The Bills win 23-20.

Now I switched to golf.  Tiger is playing & that always makes it more interesting.

Last nite I made chicken & spaghetti but Barb didn't stay for dinner so Dale had her share for lunch.  So I'll be lazy & order pizza for Dale & me.  Dale went to the mall at Lakewood this aft.

Almost forgot.  Dale got a ceiling fan, 1/2 price, at KMart for the garage to move the warm air around.  He has another better kerosene stove that really heats the garage up.  Pretty complete now, with heat, fan & TV.

Kim had a busy weekend a week ago helping others & not leaving enough time for herself.  So when she came over yesterday I was surprised.  Fri. Lar said "there is nothing to snack on".  So Sat. A.M. Kim got up early to make cookies.  When she was getting an egg out of the fridge it slipped out of her hand.  Trying for another, it also slipped out of her hand, so she had a mess to clean up.  That didn't make her very happy.  Lar stopped by as he was going to rake leaves at Carey's.  So he had a couple of cookies.  I'll be making more of the peanut butter, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as Dale likes them. They are easy to make.

Sheila & Sue (beauty shop gals) don't work on Halloween but dress up & visit around.  They know a teacher at Jefferson so they are in the neighborhood and stop in to see me.  Plan to make cookies & give them each a bag.  They'll dress up as Cheetas -- wear black jeans & jacket.  The masks got 50.00 & they stick to the face.  Went to Fredonia to get them.  They also wear wigs.  They have fun & look good in their costumes.

I see Green Bay was defeated.  Pittsburgh won so Dale will be happy.

Careys are in Fla. for 2 weeks.  They found someone to stay with the dogs.

Tues. Oct. 30.

I'm glad to sit down -- it's been a busy day for me.  Up at 6 am.  After breakfast & reading the paper, I went upstairs & took care of my room.  On Mon. I change Dale's sheets.  Did my washing, made my cooky dough & put it in the fridge.  About 9:15, I walked to the post office for stamps, to PNC Bank to cash my check for Nov. exp.  Then went across the st. & cashed my Christmas Club check.  We've been talking that I should get a C.D. and I asked about it at the bank (Northwest) & put $10,000.00 into a 14 mo. cert. of deposit at PNC.  It is one dad started with $10,000.00 when he was well.  Overheard Mr. Gustafson tell someone C.D.s were the best way for older people.  That spurred me on to do something.  Should make use of my money.  The int will go into the C.D.  Dad had the int. go into his checking account.  The pension & S.S. take care of current expenses.  What is in the checking account is for taxes & any improvements.  I guess one could say I'm doing OK.

Also dusted downstairs, an easy job.  Baked & frosted the cookies.  Fixed supper, cleaned up & now I'm resting & watching TV.  TLC "Code Blue". So I've had a full day for me.

Enjoyed talking with Paul & the boys on Sun.  Eddie made me smile when I asked him if his homework was finished.  He told me he didn't like personal questions!  I'm still smiling.  Am anxious to see Andy again & how he has grown.  Great to have 2 wonderful grandsons.  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment