Friday, October 14, 2011

Thursday, February 5, 1998

The anniv. flowers lasted 2 weeks & they made us think of spring with pink tulips, etc.  We enjoyed them & thank you very much.  Kim & Lar came over with an anniv. cake from BiLo & it was delicious.  Lar put in 3 more elec. wires so the Micro is on its own line & won't go out if another thing like the roaster is used.   One for Dale in the garage & something he uses out there.  No more extension cords.  Our Christmas & Anniv. gifts from Lar & Kim.

Thanks for the pictures you've sent.  Your house looks so nice - and lot of snow.  These latest storms haven't hit us.  Don't know why we're so lucky.  Wonder what the summer will be like - some say hot & humid & dry.


Gen called this week & tomorrow John leaves for a ski trip in Austria.  A tour deal for 8 days.

How was Andy's study on Sweden.

Hope you find a cure for Eddie's problem.  At least you're doing something about it.

Wonder how you would have reacted, Paul, if I threatened you couldn't do something until you got better grades.  By the time you needed prodding you were older & it went in one ear & out the other.  Maybe making the honor roll is more of a parents' bragging point.  Anyway you've done very well for yourself & probably much better than many honor students 

We got the new Penney's catalog & if you ordered before Feb. 2, you get 15% off so I did just that.  Got 2 prs slacks - one sage, one periwinkle, a pr. of longer shorts & a pink cotton/poly. top & it came yesterday & I'm very satisfied.

Last Sun. Vi Lilja told me Sonya Thelin had her baby - a second daughter.

Tomorrow the Olympics start to there should be some good T.V. viewing. I'm watching Home & Garden T.V. & it's been interesting so I've made some mistakes.

Soon bedtime so I'll bring this to a close for this time.

[Enclosure 1]

From a letter to Mom and Dad written on February 7, 1998

The article on Great Falls that Gen had sent to you is one that I had read on the Internet.  Your remark, "Don't remember seeing this", and in a way, you are right, Mom.  We never saw the Ryan Dam from this vantage point, i.e., the one in the newspaper photograph.  As a result of this enclosure in your recent letter, I reviewed the slides that Dad took during the years we lived in Great Falls and uncovered two that might refresh your memory.  Actually, there are two dams, which are referred to as Black Eagle Dam (me and Larry in the foreground, trees in the background) and Rainbow Dam (the railroad bridge and the striped wheat fields in the background) in the latest edition of the Rand McNally Road Atlas.  Maybe Black Eagle Dam was renamed.


It's interesting.  I still have such vivid memories of Great Falls.  School.  Church.  The old parsonage.  The new parsonage.  Gibson Park.  Dora Donald's apartment.  The Buttrey's store down the alley.  The Civic Center, where Dad took Larry and me to our first movie, The Lady and the Tramp.  The Hasselquist house.  Giant Springs.  My friend Jacques.  The Demolay building.  When I look back on those years, it seems like another lifetime.  To me, perhaps not to you, for a variety of reasons, Great Falls was a wonderfully idyllic time.  I think the wide open spaces of Montana, "Big Sky" country, had a major impact on my psychological development.  I still feel a strong connection to that part of my life, a yearning to return -- to visit, not necessarily to live t here.  Since we moved in 1957, I've returned to Great Falls twice, in 1974 and 1983.  The first time I rediscovered what it was like to view the world with the eyes of a child.  What seemed so remote when I was six years old was just a few blocks away.




No comments:

Post a Comment