Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wednesday, September 12, 2001



I'll start my letter early.  Dale is still working on the shower.  It looks great so far.  He hasn't gotten to the floor yet.

He decided to paint the outside of the front door.  It is in the garage resting on 2 "horses".  He's not satisfied but I think it looks great.  He used spray paint & he thinks it would have been better to brush it on.  At least it will look 100% better.  It was getting rust on it.

Yesterday was a day of infamy & one we'll never forget.  It was something to watch on TV.  We never thought anything like this would happen to our country.  I was at the eye Dr. & it was on the radio there & all were listening.  The Dr. said aren't you glad we line in a small town & I surely am.

Last nite I called Gen & they were upset over what happened.  Gen had another accident -- there was a bug higher up on the wall -- she stood on a chair to get it, fell & ended up with a broken left wrist.  Has a cast for 6 weeks.  Many, including me, told her she should not stand on a chair.

In my bedroom the ceiling light burned out.  I took the step stool & got the shade off & washed it -- got a new bulb & Barb finished the job for me as I know I shouldn't do that.

I finally called Rose.  She is doing OK but strength is slow in coming back.  For 12 weeks, 3 times a week she goes to the hospital for therapy.  The local bus system picks up these people needing to go for therapy & brings them home.  Rose is happy this this.  Just have to let them know the dates ahead of time.

Barb doesn't like Fox news but I like it as it is in NYC.  She can't understand why I like it.  She doesn't like their approach but all that is set aside in this emergency. 

When Barb came home I was watching Fox News.  Her reaction -- Paul would never watch Fox News!  But I'm finding I really like watching Brit Hume (not sure of spelling).  He has a nice delivery & I just like his looks & ways.


Sat. the 15th -- Andy's 14th birthday.  Where has the time gone.

Today & Fri. aft Dale worked on teh El Camino.  This aft he went to his favorite stor e-- Big Lots & spent some of his tax rebate.  He bought a factory reconditioned Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum cleaner.  He said it looks brand new -- cost $99.99.  He also got a "sealer" that seals food for the freezer.  Keeps air out better so it can be frozen longer.  All his household duties are completed.

Larry got another thermostat for me.  The one we have doesn't work the way I like.  If I'm working & want the thermostat at 68, it won't stay there but goes back to 70.  At nite I like it warmer.

I'm glad Andy is only 14.  I hope this terrible thing that happened in NYC & DC will be over by the time the boys are older.

Kim's sister called her Wed. nite the 12th.  She works in a large WalMart-like store in Florida.  She told Kim 2 of the hijackers came thru her cash register & she recognized them by the pictures on TV.  She never dreamed she was talking to enemies.  They usually paid with $100.00 bills & they had plenty of cash on them.  2 of them & they shopped in the store often.

It got cold last nite.  Felt like turning the furrnace on but I didn't.  The sun came out & warmed things up & I made some bar cookies so the oven warmed things up.  It is a new recipe from the Oct. issue of Family Circle.  Called Hermits but they call for molasses so it's like gingerbread with nuts & raisins.  I like them.  Barb or Dale haven't tasted them. In fact I cut a large square & put Cool Whip on it & enjoyed it for dessert.

I can't believe it -- even in this terrible tragic situation, they have to worry about crime -- people trying to steal from the workers or any store they try to get in.

I have our flag out.  So do Carey's & many others.

Sun. the 16th

I must teel you the latest on Susan Carey.  You remember her husband died as a result of a heart attack.  Then his parents tried to get custody of their (Susan's) daughter.  Susan & daughter, about 3 now, were home for a few days lately.

Lar's friend Mike keeps in contact with Paula's husband John, as they were neighbors.  John told Mike who told Lar that Susan lost custody of the child.  Susan has always had a problem with alcohol.  After the baby was born she was drinking Listerine & was very sick.  Guess she is back to that & so they have the child.  The insurance was a million dollars -- wonder if they get part of that for the child's use.  How could a mother give up her child -- can't understand that.

What does this horrendous event mean for Albert. If he knows, I'm sure it would be a secret.

I've been thinking about JoAnna's Mom & Dad.  Is he in Middleton for therapy, etc.?  I hope it's smooth sailing from now on.

I turned the furnace on this A.M. to take the chill off the house.

The paint job on the shower is so nice & clean.  I prefer it to the bathroom & tub for taking a shower.  More space.

I watched the Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral & it was such an impressive & inspiring service.  I'm sure it was something all New Yorkers appreciated & got comfort from. 

Mon.  Some of my questions were answered when I called last nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment