Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday, February 22, 2001


This has been a hard week because of Dale Earnhardt's death & TV reminders.  Today from 11 A.M.-1 pm they had the tribute to D. E.  The actual church service was only 1/2 hour.  His Lutheran pastor read the Bible story of Martha, Mary & Lazarus rising from (the) death.  The NASCAR chaplain had the meditation & it was very inspiring.  An Alabama member sang 2 numbers.  It helps putting a closing to everything.;  It should end the tears.  He died doing what he loved.

Tonite Lar & Kim come for dinner.  I'm having a chicken rice casserole that is tasty.  Plus a broccoli salad & pecan pie with choc. chips on the bottom.  It's good that way.

I remembered the name when I heard of Eddie Matthews' death.  I'm probably more familiar with baseball names over other athletes.  Baseball must be my favorite sport.

It's funny, when Barb first came home sports meant nothing to her.  Then she got interested in Michael Jordan, Buffalo Bills, & the latest is Pittsburgh hockey.  She knows the names & now with Fox sports she can watch more games.  And of course NASCAR & I'm sure after awhile she will go back to watching it.  Oh yes, golf is also important to her.

With Dale it's NASCAR & the Steelers.

Scott realized Barb was sad over Dale E. death.  Mon nite Scott & Lynn were at KMart & Scott said "Barb is so sad, we should buy her a D. E. car".  Someone overheard Scott say that & said "we are sold out of D. E. memorabilia."  It went fast everywhere.


Sat the 24th.

Fri. we went to the library before we went to the Mall.  I got 3 books -- Bean Trees by B. Kingsolver, Echoes by Maeve Binchy & Fern Michaels Celebration.  I started reading it Fri. & finished it this A.M. *& it was so good.  This is Dale's week to work Sat A.M. so I was up at 6 A.M. & by 8:30 I had a coffee cake made & choc. chip cookies.  Then I got dressed, made my bed & finished the book.  I had to do my baking first or I was afraid I'd put it off.  I like my cookies pressed own as they come out nice & crisp.  Barb & Dale like them not pressed down so I divided them -- 2 pans for them, 1 1/2 for me.  All are happy.

The other nite I was going thru the TV channel & came across your former Gov. giving his state address, or whatever you call it.  I was so surprised with his appearance.  Not the man I pictured in my mind from your letters.  I pictured a large important looking man.  From what I saw he just the opposite.  Didn't linger that long.

Was supposed to see the Dr yesterday but ti was postponed because of trouble with pipes.  They must have frozen or something.  Now it will be the last Fri. in Mar.  Fri. is better as Barb can take me over & I hate to have Lar take time off to take me on the other days as usually appt are mid afternoon.

Tues. after work Dale goes to Rochester for a Wed., 1 day only, class.

What are you doing about your back.  Have you had an Xray?  You need to do something.

I'm looking forward to spring.  But first we have to get thru St. Patrick's Day as some 40 years ago they had a huge snow storm here.

Sun. Feb 25.

The NASCAR race in on TV.  Everyone going into the grandstand was given a Dale Earnhardt #3 banner.  It's a full house.  All the drivers are wearing (before the race) D. E. baseball caps.  Even in golf Davis Love III was wearing a D. E cap as well as 3 other guys from N. Carolina.  D. E. made a great impact on people.  I asked our Dale once, if he liked his name.  Because of Dale Evens (Roy Rogers) he didn't when he was little but when D. E. came along, all that changed.  Already a crash when they bumped together.  Dale Earnhardt Jr. was in the crash & he was limping a bit.  Too bad but it was only the first lap so maybe he can get back.  4 cars involved.

Today is spring but for 1 day only.  I wish it would stay longer.  Mon. more winter.

The race had to be cancelled due to rain.  It will be run Mon at 11 A.M.  There is also rain at the golfing event but they are still able to play.

Mon. Feb. 26

This is Dale's early week so I was up early.  After breakfast I read for an hour.  Did dishes, got dressed, did Dale's sheets & other clothes.  Then I cleaned the basement shower.  A 2nd load of clothes.  Read my book.  Made Dale's bed, made lunch.   Read my book.  Dale had a headache last nite & didn't eat dinner so he's having that tonite so I didn't have to make a meal.  Finished my book by Binchy & it was so good I wished it was longer.  So I mostly read today.  Fun./  I hope there are 1 or 2 more books of hers I can read.  Enjoyed the Bean Trees but the other I liked better.

Also had the race on today while I was reading.  The end was exciting & the Dale Earnhardt car won this week.  Steve Park drove the #1 car.  His car also won last week.  He had 3 cars own by the D. E. racing team.  D. E. raced for Childress racing team.

Guess this is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment