Sunday, October 21, 2012

Monday, January 20, 2003


Got your letter with the pictures.  Both JoAnna's parents look so good, esp. her Dad who went thru so much almost 2 yrs ago.  Especially like your family picture as it shows how the boys are growing.  I can see that Andy will soon be "looking down" on his Dad.  It's good of everyone.

The cold keeps coming -- I'm waiting for a Jan. thaw.  Maybe it will be in Feb.

Yesterday St. Paul had its annual meeting & all went well.  A German pastor & pastor wife were looking for a call while waiting for their green card.  They were willing to come to Warren & one of them going to Sheffield-Ludlow vacancy.  It was fine until they said they would want the 3 churches to become 1 parish.  That wouldn't work.  They can't even get Sheffield & Ludlow to combine even tho Ludlow members are very few.  No prospects in the future.

Did I mention I made a new cooky -- Surprise Brownie cooky (marshmallow surprise).  Barb brot some for Scott & Marisa only Scott ate Marisa's as well as his own.  He asked Barb for the recipe -- ti's his favorite now, & Barb just laughed as Lynn never bakes.  At least they know what homemade cookies are.  Dale doesn't like the marsh. addition so I baked a few less the marsh. & just a little frosting on his.  He likes iced brownies so he should like these.  He's getting them for his aft. treat!Yesterday I was disappointed the Phila Eagles didn't win but happy when Oakland won.  I'll be rooting for Oakland -- why -- I like the looks of their coach.  Looks like he'd be a nice man. I also think Gruden is nice but for some reason I like Oakland.  Good deductions for a winner-- yes!

Better check the dryer so I can put the flannel sheets back on Dale's bed.


What do you hear about Ruth.  Is she at the same place?  I haven't heard anything at all.

Forgot to mention concerning the annual met.  John Check kept his membership -- resigned because of personal reasons.  I wondered about the family.  The daughter was in the council for 1 year & she agreed to a new 4 year term & Jen & her mom were both at the mtg.  And Jen was active in starting a Young Mother's Club at church.  So that is a good sign as I see it.  We heard that Gary's salary, housing allowance, ins. retirement etc. amounted to $74,000.  And he wasn't satisfied.  Wonder if he ever had regrets over his resignation.  The amt. came up when some wondered how we could pay a pastor's salary & Marv Gustafson mentioned the salary & that we would probably pay a lesser wage due to his or her time in the ministry.  Maybe someone with 5 yrs experience.  That would be $50,000 plus a loan for a down payment on a home.  They started that when we were able to buy the parsonage.  I'm so glad Dad isn't here to see what happened at Church.  He'd be so disappointed.


Wed. Jan 22

We didn't go to the Mall or get groceries until yesterday.  First we went to the Mall & I found a nice bargain at Bon Ton -- a Liz Clairborn blouse for $19.99.  It had been $45.00.  It is cotton, pretty blue print with a ruffle front, shirt style & cuff. Hard to explain.  I'd had my eye on it & when it hit 20.00 I got it.  Hope ruffle fronts last awhile.

For a couple of weeks Barb couldn't find her glasses.  She looked all over.  I asked if she had looked between the cushions.  Yesterday while dusting the L.R. I remembered to look between the davenport cushions & there they were.  When I presented them to her, she said she never tho't to look there.  Often when she comes downstairs she sits on the davenport &we talk or watch TV together for awhile.  She must have taken them off & they slipped down.  Lost is found.

Back to the cooky -- gave 2 for Dale's aft. snack & later asked how he liked them.  He said he could have eaten 3 of them. So now I'll make 1 regular batch & one minus the marshmallows.  That's what parents do for their children (waffles vs. pancakes) even when one is 82 & still cosseting her children. Or should I say pampering?

Thurs. the 23rd

I bundled up when I put the garbage out this A.M.  And I still brave the cold basement to shower.  With the heater it warms the area up as well as the water steam. Not bad at all.

Yesterday Dale mentioned a fellow at work his age (45) pays for an under 18 child as a result of divorce.  He married again & she is 22 & wants 4 children.  Dale can't believe he'd want to start a family again.  Maybe after a baby or two, she'll change her mind.  Dale can't believe it.  If Dale ever marries, it will be because some one chased him & won't let him slip by.

Made a different dessert for dinner.  You cube angel food cake.  Put it in a sq pan.  Make a vanilla pudding (Jello) add 2 c. ice cream.  Mix & pour over cake.  Make strawberry jello, add frozen straw., pour over.  Let set.  It is easy & tasty.  Looks nice.

Lynn is sick today so Barb won't have to work this aft.  She'll work Fri. aft. instead.  Maybe I'll get ambitious & make banana bread & cookies Fri. aft.  I slow down the end of the week.

Called Rose yesterday.  She said Karen & her husband will be moving to New Hampshire.  It must be a different guy as she went to a vocational school.  Now they are living with her mother-in-law.  I can't imagine Karen accepting that.  I hate to be too nosy -- didn't ask if Karen is still working.  Mother-in-law speaks only French so Karen is brushing up on her high school French.  The divorce still upsets Rose.  She said who would want to be married 4 times.  The other thing that bothers is the Pres. Bush.  She has no use for him & what he is doing.  I keep away from politics.  Each to his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment