Monday, August 13, 2012

Sunday, July 7, 2002


I'm home from church & changed my clothes.  No paper yet so I'll start a letter.  Today the asst. to the Bishop preached.  He seems like a very nice person & preached a good sermon.  The service lasted just 1 hour.  I also remember a pastor saying it's no good preaching when the congregation has said "Amen" in their minds.  Afterwards they were having strawberry shortcake so people could visit with him.  I didn't stay.  Lar & Kim are coming for dinner (6 pm) to make up for last Thurs.  I was up at 6 A.M. (because I didn't make the pie crust, I mean form the crust into the pan), so I did that this A.M. & made a strawberry pie.  I'm having an easy meal.  Steak & baked pot. & salad & pie.  Forgot to get green beans.  I do the inside preparations & Barb or Dale do the steak & fix mushrooms & onions if they want them.

Dale didn't work Sat - his early week so he went to his shopping "meccas".  He couldn't pass up a volt amp tester for car batteries.  New it would cost between $600-800.  He paid $125.00 -- he couldn't pass it up.

Kim stopped by Sat. & I mentioned about getting a frost free freezer.  She asked what will we do with the present one.  Do you want it.  She said yes & she'd pay us for it.  When I told Barb that, she said we don't have to wait.until cold weather.  We can move it & plug it in elsewhere & then fill up the new one & defrost & clean the old one & they can pick it up.  Sears' flyers had a sale on freezers so off Barb & I go to Sears on the west side & get one.  It won't come til the 29th but we can wait that long.  Same size as we have. It can't be wider but I would have liked it taller but they don't come that way.  So soon we'll have a frost free freezer.

Kim ordered a pair of bike riding pants for Barb.  Lar bro't them over when he walked Torey.  I asked Kim the cost & she wasn't sure.  Barb was picking more strawberries so she wasn't here.  Kim said if Barb picked 8 qt. of strawberries for Kim, she'd call it square.  So Barb will pick 8 qts. for Kim & that will pay for the pants.  Kim will have to freeze some as she leaves for Fla. Wed.  She'll leave a couple of Larry to munch on.

It's amazing how ignorant I was when you kids were growing up, from the tales I hear about now.  I never knew about your sun stroke.  I thought I was pretty good knowing what went on with my children.  At least we all lived thru it.

Both Hollertzs and Bensons are dieting & have lost some weight.  With Pat B., it is a must as she was in the hospital because of her heart.  She is taking more medication -- blood thinner, etc, but all of them could lose 50 lbs..  Pat says they're hungry all the time & even a little testy at times.  Pat has a hard time walking & uses a cane.

Bert (Barb's lady) on the other hand is too thin & that can cause problems.  So it's OK for me to be a little overweight as I can get around, walk, etc.  But I would like to lose a few pounds as some of my clothes, esp. skirts, are too tight around the waist.  Do I have the will power to give up my "coffee and" breaks.  I don't' know.

Yesterday we checked the Martha Stewart roses at KMart.  They were under $10.00 so I got 2 more plants & then Barb went back in the afternoon and got 2 more as she wanted 8 altogether.  They are blooming - the first 4 -- and are so pretty.  Finally I have my rose garden.

When we were kids in order to get to church, which we did every Sun. we'd take a bus downtown, have a transfer & usually had to wait 20 min. for the bus we needed -- the schedules didn't click -- & in the winter it was a cold wait.  We did it because it was the thing to do.  That was for Sunday School at 10 A.M., followed by church at 11 A.M.  So that was a long morning & we were starved by the time we got home.  My mother usually got a ride if the member was going to church.  She's bring us a roll to eat before church but I remember liking the idea of a roll but not eating it in front of people.  It would get eaten before we got into church.  Sometimes we were allowed to skip the Sun they had Communion as that would be a longer service -- but not too often.  If you remember anything about Springfield. the church was on King St. & Merrick Ave.  When they relocated they sold the church to a black congregation -- it is a black neighborhood now.  Just a little remembering of my Sunday School days.

I've been sitting on the front porch enjoying the beauty of the day.  And I remembered something Pat told me.  Gary Risher is now interim pastor of the Mt. Jewett church.  He visited Pat when she was in the hospital.  He talked a little about St. Paul & said Dad warned him of certain people -- troublemakers.  Who they could be I can't imagine since it's such a long time since Dad retired and he never had any problem with anyone.  Only when 3 families didn't like the idea of a new church & that was no big deal.  And one family came back.  He also told her he now has a convertible.  He was having trouble with his car.  Went back to the dealer, whom he knew & the dealer said we'll give you another car & he chose a convertible.  His cars were a sore spot with some members & he has several cars.

Tues. the 9th

We had an all day rain -- a nice one as it was a light rain that would sink into the ground.  It will only be in the low 70s for 3-4 days. I set dinner rolls & put them in the fridge overnite & will finish them in the A.M.

Mon. I had 12 rolls for Scott's birthday & today Barb informed me she invited Courtney for dinner Thurs.  Bert & her niece are going out to dinner & Barb will watch Courtney who is 10 years old.  She is really the niece's granddaughter but she calls her mother.  The son is the father but he messed up on drugs so the grandmother has raised her.  She's probably in her 50s according to Barb.  They will also go miniature golfing & to Beaty field.  They go back to Atlanta on Sat.  Courtney likes it here.  Courtney also likes Larry like all the little girls have.  I remember Paula C. coming over to see if "Wrarry" was home.  She lost the baby she was expecting.

I didn't watch any of the All Star doings last nite -- home run derby, etc.  Don't know if I'll watch much of the game tonite.  Maybe it will be good if it's the Braves vs. the Yankees -- no world series.

I guess this is enough to read at one time.

Called Millie last nite.  Ed isn't doing that good.   He is worrying about Gen & has other ills besides the stroke.  When you get to your 60s see your Dr. regularly.  Ed never did.  Gen is depressed because she can't drive & feels isolated.  She isn't taking her medication, won't wear her glasses & wants to sleep all the time.  Millie told her put on some peppy music & exercise.  Start & finish just 1 job & then do more.  She can't handle it.  It's so sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment