Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday, February 10, 2002


It's a cloudy aft. dark & trying to rain.  A good time for a nap but I want to start your letter.

Wed. is Ash Wed. & many Lutheran churches use ashes.  Our interim pastor plans to, so that will be a new experience for us.  First & St. Paul have had Wed Lenten midweek services together alternating churches.  Not this year.  First's pastor had to have a knee replacement & guess who is helping for 6 weeks.  St. Paul's former pastor, Gary Risher & he wouldn't want to come to St. Paul.  Heard he had a chance to go to a church in Pittsburgh but because of being at First for 6 weeks, he didn't take it.  Sounds funny to me.  Seems like he'd want a salary & benefits.  Margaret doesn't want to give up her teaching job so she'll have to support him. He still has a couple of years before Social Security.

A couple of thoughts have been on my mind.

Aunt Ida & Aunt Helen gave my folks 6 sets of sterling silverware for their 25th wedding anniversary.  Eventually I got it.  (Gen has her own.)  I always thought I'd give it to Barb, the only daughter.  But Barb is apt to sell things if she is short of money (yard sales she had in Oshkosh).  And I wouldn't like that.  So I'm wondering about the boys getting it.  Dividing it -- 4 each.  I added a serving fork, gravy ladle & other pieces so there is service for 8.  Then there is Grandpa Nelson's watch Ford gave Dad.  Who gets that?  It is something to think about.  I'd like that settled now.

For me, half the fun of having company or your visits is the planning.  I have meals planned, grocery lists & things to do before you come.  A couple are to clean the storage spaces below the sinks.  Things get shoved in back & I don't know what's what.  I'll try to get them in order.  Need to check my closets.  Will have more for the Salvation Army.

Carey's left for Fla. last Sat. via Buffalo.  May Ann has a bad back so she will stay with Paula in Buff. & Jack will drive to Fla. with the dog.  When he arrives, Mary Ann will fly down & he will pick her up at the airport.  He brought the garage door opener over for Dale so he can use their garage.  They'll be back in May.  Larry stops in  to water plans & check on things.  They had 2 dogs but one had to be put to sleep.

Barb is sewing her sweater together.  Has ends to weave in & the neck to finish.  She hopes to finish it next week.  It came out so nice.

John Hornstrom was in church this A.M.  He brought Arlene home for 4 days.  He's on vacation.  She was living with him but she didn't want him to go to work & he can't do that.  So she is with Julie & her family.  They'll make Arlene get up, get dressed & make her take her medications.

Mon A.M.

This is Dale's early week so I got an early start on my work & I'm ready for a break.  I got the cupboards under the kitchen & laundry room sinks cleaned & in order.  They look nice for awhile.  Now I'm getting 2 loads of wash done & then I'll make Dale's bed.  I only have 1 set of flannel sheets for his bed.  Am suppose to hove another set but where I stored them is a secret!  I can't find them.

We awoke to a layer of snow but not enough to shovel.  The sun is out now (10 am) so things are pretty.  I'm at the kitchen table & looking at the fir trees & they are snow tipped & make a pretty picture.  It is also time for "Murder, She Wrote".

I noticed your favorite author C. Hiaasen had a new book out.  Also another book "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen that sounds interesting to me.

Betty Casey has 14 grandchildren & 6 great grandchildren.  Just welcomed a new g.c.

Tues A.M. the 12th

I'm on a "coffee break" having finished my chores for today.  After lunch we get groceries.  You can see I don't push myself.  I figure if you keep your house picked up, it always looks O.K.  The pastor who preached last Sun. is from Jamestown & they live in the Lutheran Home Apts.  Their apt. was just repainted & things had hto be gone over & she found many things she didn't use anymore & was getting rid of things.  Her spring housecleaning was done for her.  At home Spfld. spring housecleaning meant airing mattresses, beating rugs hung over the clothes line.  Curtains dried on curtain stretchers.  Glad that is in the past.  Ah memories.  We all helped.

Today's paper had the obit of Scott Daelhausen.  51 yrs.  Graduated with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment