Monday, August 15, 2011

Friday, December 29, 1995

I've had my hair done; came home & had a cup of coffee so I'll write a letter.  It's a lazy day for me.

I'm sure you had a great Christmas & we did as well.

Started reading my Kuralt book - New Orleans is the 1st chapter & he talks a lot about the good food down there.  I know I'll enjoy it & thanks so much.  Haven't tried the popper yet & think I might save the puzzle for Super Bowl Sun.  Barb said it was good it was your turn to be with the Richard Family since Gr. Bay played Pitts & it wouldn't have meant unity here -- Barb rooted for G. B. but Buff. is really her team.  Pitt is Dale's.  .



Dad likes the radio & cassettes (is it 2 s's) you know what I mean (as I said I'm lazy).  Likes the feel on his ears.  We got the usual gifts - flannel nightie, "Chicken Soup for the Soul II, & Chicken Soup recipe book.  I like the inspirational readings.  Bot Chicken Soup I myself.  Barb gave me an electronic memo mate.  Talk into it instead of making a list.  She tho't it would be good for things I want to remember for letters.  All in all it was a very nice Christmas as well as a white one.  It just keeps snowing - we must have a foot but temp. have been OK.  Barb wants new cross country skis (old ones stick) so she'll use Christmas money for that.  She got 200.00 from Lynn  & Bob & they sent us a beautiful white poinsettia.

The Thurs. before Christmas Hollertz's from  Ridgway came for lunch & we had a nice visit with them.  They wanted to meet us for lunch but since Dad doesn't like to go out, I said some here instead.  I fixed chicken, etc. & we had a nice meal.   Had the same when Lar & Kim came for supper that nite.

Warren suggested we should get together again so we set a date for Feb (they're in Fla in Jan) & they'll see about getting Bensons to come also.  They are now retired & living in the area.  I like to entertain so don't mind planning a lunch.

Kim & Lar liked the dishes a lot.  We all tho't they are so pretty.   Lar has the wood stove working now & has started insulating.  Next will be putting up the walls so it's moving along.  They've gone cross co. skiing several times & it's been good.  They climb the hill opp. them, via a logging road, They ski at the Country Club.  Hope Barb finds ski equipment so she can go before the snow melts.

Barb & I went to Blaris & I saw a pair of stirrups I tho't would be OK for me.  Got them & like them a lot.  Not tight ones.  Wanted them as they fit into snow boots so much better.  It's a nice clean looking store.

They had another ad in the paper for the centennial brick walk & named new people for whom bricks had been purchased, including Rev. Carl E. Nelson & Andy & Eddie Nelson.  Am enclosing a card received for people honored.

It's a dull day here - sun is suppose to come out.

Got a card from Anita with a picture of Anita & her 9 grandchildren.  Michelle's oldest is 10 in Jan.  Also heard from Tom & Mim & that was a nice surprise.  And a note from Dick & I'll copy it so you can hear.

"We are now grandparents.  Rob (youngest) & Lisa were proud parents in Sept..  Hannah Dee Nyquist.  She joins Benjamin Allen who will be 2 in Jan.  They were here to celebrate Thanksgiving.  Kay, Jean & her husband Jim were also here.  Rob & his family6 live in Rockford, Mi. & he is a vet in Grand Rapids.   Jim & jean live in Denver.  Jean is an engineer for AT&T & manager of her dept.  Kay works for Texaco in Denver & lives in Arvada.  She is an accountant.  We visited Col. in Oct. for 10 days & saw Richard, who lives in Boulder & works for Ball Aerospace.  He is the principle scientist on the Hubble Space Telescope project.  He enjoys skiing & rock climbing in the Rockies.  I can't believe he will be 40 in July.  Neither Rich or Kay seem interested in getting married.

I retired from Dow Dec 31, 1994 after 41 1/2 years.  However, I still have an office there.  They let me keep it to finish a book I was working on.

The book is now being published by Academic Press in Boston, Ma.

I had an opportunity to obtain a PhD from Univ. Utrecht, Netherlands based on research I had published over the years.  I had to write a thesis & defend it at the U. in front of 7 people & the open public.  Irene, Jean, Jim & my Dutch friends from Terneuzen, Neth.  Prof. John Van de Maas was my Promotor.  Was happy to have passed the exam with high honors.  This took place Sept-Oct 1994.  We also visited Dow sites in Europe & traveled 2 weeks in Germany.

Irene is still working in the Patent Dept. at Dow.  Both of us are feeling OK."

Wouldn't Svea have been proud of her son.

Pictures from our visit to Warren for Thanksgiving
What a sweetie our Andy is!

Grandma Nelson always took full advantage of spoiling the boys during their infrequent visits.  Due to Dad's increasing illness (Parkinson's), their last visit to Wisconsin occurred during the spring of 1990.

Not sure what the boys are studying here.

Eddie was quite the dress-up performer during his pre-school years.  He would make us laugh until our stomachs ached.

Note the gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment