Thursday, May 9, 2013

Saturday, June 19, 2004


Finally a clear, humid-free day.  It will dry things out so Dale can mow the lawn later.  He's going to Jamestown this aft.

I'm watching golf.  Very interesting golf course.

Barb's body is sore but she's doing fine.  They put her in a room & she could hear the A.C. fan & some noises drive her crazy.  She knows she couldn't spend the time or night there. But she was better off in her own bed anyway.  Next it's the kemo.  Hope it all works out in her favor.

Last nite at the Mets-Detroit game they honored Mike Piazza for breaking the catcher's home run record.  Yogi Berra, Pudge (Boston & Chicago), & the kid, Met catcher in 80s (can't remember names) were there.  He got a yellow 300 HP sports car from a Chevy dealer, a watch & a bottle of fine French dessert wine from his fellow players, plus other things.  It was very nice.  He said to the Detroit catcher, Pudge Rodre* -- can't spell it, former Marlin catcher, "I hope I'll be at a doing for you after you've broken my record".  And the Mets broke a 2-2 tie in the 9th with 2 outs & 2 strikes on the one at the plate.   Mike Cameron home run. Exciting.

I learned how to spell "Rodriguez"  I'm watching the Mets & saw it in the line up.

The fall Penney's catalog (dream book) came yesterday & have enjoyed looking thru it.  I've seen a couple of things I'd like to order.


It's a beautiful day (Sun. June 20) 2 days in a row.

This A.M. I couldn't decide about going to church.  At 8:55 A.M. I was just getting dressed, but otherwise ready.  I decided to go even tho I coughed during the nite.  I was glad I did. There was a baptism -- the 4th daughter -- & she is a little doll.  And I didn't cough.  9:30 service.

Do you remember Linda Jacobson -- her brother your age -- she was in church today.  she is so attractive but way too heavy.  She teaches in Fla, has for a long time, and loves Fla.  It was in the hi 40s this A.M. & she felt the cold.

As soon as the Mets-Detroit game is over, I'll switch to golf.  Oh yes, the Mets are leading 5-1 in the 7th inning.  And Atlanta is losing.  Did Andy notice as of 6-20 the Mets are ahead of the Braves!  Hi Andy.  Hope they still are when this letter is read.

In golf Barb was rooting for Phil Mickelson & I was rooting for Retief Goosen (S. Africa) & my man won.  To me it seemed like overkill when the announcers talked about Phil.  I suppose they wanted an American to win, but that's the way the ball bounced.

When Charles & Sandy come we'll eat here.  Barb find it hard to work on her hair & wouldn't care to eat out.  Will have steaks, pot. salad, green beans, salad, rolls & a strawberry dessert.  Barb said she should be able to cook the steaks.

First Day of Summer & I've been busy.  In addition to 4 loads of laundry, (Dale turned his mattress & put the mat. pad in the wash) I made Dale's bed & cleaned the bathroom.  Made the batter of a sugar cooky & baked them after lunch.  Cleaned di the dishes, etc.  Sampled the cookies with a cup of coffee.  Then I washed the kitchen floor.  Why the extra activity? Barb isn't feeling up to snuff & has a hard time fixing her hair so she didn't want to eat out.  I called Kim today & forgot to wish her Happy Birthday.  she tho't it would be too much for me but I told her I have the menu (I'm repeating myself) all planned.  Steak, pot. salad, green beans, veggies for salad, rolls (I have to make them), strawberry shortcake for supper dessert.  They didn't know when Charles will be in.  I said send them over & we can sit (hopefully) on the porch & talk & have lemonade & cookies.  That's why I had more jobs today.

Tomorrow we'll get groceries & I'll make dinner rolls.

Wed A.M., I'll get everything all ready so I can visit with them.  We won't eat til 7 p.m. to give Lar an extra hour to work.  He's getting behind in his after work jobs.  Weather hasn't helped either.

I said to Barb I'll have an easy to fix supper.  She said order pizza & make salads.  Good idea.  That is what I'll do -- order pizza.

We didn't eat til about 6:15 & I cleaned up.  I can't seem to make the right choc. chip cooky. Think I found the right one & made a batch of C.C. cookies.  They taste good to me so I hope it's the right one.  I'm soon ready for bed that will watch Cleveland vs. Chicago White Sox for awhile.

Tues. June 22

Got dinner rolls made & went to the Mall & Quality Mkt.   Got strawberries at Hatch Patch. They are so good.  Joyce O'Connor called this A.M. & asked if Barb would need a ride to the hosp.  I said Kim would help.  She said be sure to call if we needed help.  Bev's son's wife had a son last Oct U& Barb's daughter Melissa had a son Dec. 23.  Both are growing fat.  So Joyce is a great grandmother.

Thurs the 24th

Charles told Lar they'd be here the 23rd or 24th but settled on the 23rd.  We waited & waited -- no call, no Charles.  We had our dinner & Kim's birthday.  At 8:15 I got a call from Lar. Charles had called & would be here around noon.  They'd go out for lunch.  But I had already sprayed the oven & racks & I can't stop now.  So I said I'd skip lunch & they'll come over this aft.  What a mix up.

For Kim's birthday, I got her a box of golf balls & cash to equal 50.00  She said I'm not your daughter so you shouldn't give me as much.  I said my daughters-in-law get the same as my children.  I consider both Kim & JoAnna as daughters & love all of your equally.  Kim said she'd get a new golf glove.  She doesn't eat dessert so I fixed a few strawberries in a small bowl & put a candle in one so she had a candle to blow out.

I sprayed the oven & racks at 89 A.M. so it is almost time to get going.

Charles, Sandy & Lar came over about 3:15 p.m. & we had a nice visit.  Sandy loved our porch.  I think Charles has mellowed a lot.  Maybe Sandy is good for him.  I'm glad we had a chance to visit with them.  Lar can work this aft.  Char. & S. left to start on their way home. Want to be home Sat. nite.  Saw pictures of their home & grandchildren -- 2 boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment