Monday, July 25, 2011

Friday, March 31, 1995

I got my hair done this A.M.; came home & started vegetable soup for supper as it is still cool here.

Thanks for your letter.  When you have children you have to expect a few headaches along the way.

[Here's what Mom is referencing.

Andy asked if he could go over to Meaghan’s house once we got home.

“You need to be home at 6 o’clock,” I told him. That gave him 45 minutes to play.

At 6:01 Andy had not yet returned home. No surprise. Six minutes later I called Meaghan’s. Her mom told me that Andy and Meaghan were at Nick’s house, so I called there. Nick’s grandfather said Andy was in the back yard playing ball. I waited a long 30 seconds for Andy to come to the phone.

“Hello.”

“Andy, what time is it?”

“Six o’clock.”

“Actually, it’s six-oh-seven. You should be home by now.”

“But I want to play until six-thirty.”

“All right.”

JoAnna called about five minutes later to announce that she’s on her way home. I turned up the burner under a pot of water for cooking noodles, the bed for our Campbell’s stroganoff. JoAnna put a package of stew meat and two cans of cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot before going to work.

Still no sign of Andy. I looked out the kitchen window, expecting to see him turn into the driveway on his bicycle. After another couple minutes, I called Nick’s house again.

“He’s on his way,” Nick’s grandfather reported.

It should only take him a couple minutes to ride his bike home from Nick’s house, I thought. Somebody is in trouble.

I walked outside and looked down the street. No sign of anyone. I retraced my steps five minutes later. This time I saw two small figures across South Avenue. Meaghan must have walked to Nick’s house, so Andy was being a gentleman and walking her part of the way home. Once we returned home, I told him he couldn’t play outside after school until daylight savings time arrived. (Not that far away, actually.)

The menu for supper didn’t appeal to either of the boys. Eddie was practically traumatized by the french-cut green beans on his plate.

“I don’t want them on my plate,” he cried, a few tears streaming down his cheeks.

JoAnna told him he could eat his dinner or go to his room. He chose the second option. Within a minute, we heard a theatrical wail of sorrow. He soon rejoined us, probably because he was afraid to be in a room by himself, a behavior he has exhibited quite regularly over the past few months. He picked at the food on his plate, but then he had eaten a bowl of cereal minutes after we returned home. Andy actually found the chunks of stew meat tasty, and he’s always like noodles. He didn’t eat everything on his plate, though. I should have asked him if he had anything to eat at Nick’s. Snacks seem to be easy to come by there.

While JoAnna washed dishes, I ran the boys’ bath water. Eddie informed me that the water was too hot.

“No, it’s not, Eddie. Look at your brother. He’s in the tub and not complaining.”

Eddie persisted with his whining. Someone’s a tired little guy, I surmised, but before he goes to bed, he’s taking a bath. I picked him up and forced him to take a seat in the tub. He resisted, but I insisted. I wet his hair, lathered and rinsed it, then wrapped it in a towel and handed him to JoAnna, since that’s who he was calling for through his tears.

“I want my mama.”

Fortunately, the evening ended on a very positive note. The boys and I snuggled together on one of the captain’s beds and Andy read two books he had brought home from school., Clifford’s Puppy Days and The Runaway Teddy Bear. Andy’s a very accomplished reader for a first grader. He’s made tremendous progress in his reading skills since the beginning of the school year.]

Finished reading Sue Grafton's "A is for Alibi".  Finally found it at the library.  Now I've read all except for her latest.

We'll be losing our neighbors, the Willis' (Rose Pelligrino) as he has taken a job with the Cumberland Valley School District starting May 1st.  He's been bldg. & grounds super.  I noticed last Sun. they were cleaning out their garage & painting the roof over the sun room.  Imagine Rose will be here til school is out.

Walter Johnson is in the Rouse Home so I imagine that house will be sold in the future.  Emma died a couple of years ago.  Paul is the only one around & he lives in Youngsville.

Dad is having headaches & the Dr. doesn't know what is causing them.  Probably Dale's situation.

Signe called last nite at 11:05 our time & we were in bed.  Dale was still up & answered the phone.

She is now living with Carolyn & Jim.  She wants to fix a den in the basement so she has a place her things, etc.  Jim isn't working & she'll help them with expenses.  They paid 600.00 a mo. for their retirement apt.  She has her own phone.  Said Stella isn't that good.  Wonder if she'll ever get back to I. Mt.  Wonder if she can live alone.  She is paying rent on her apt.

Don't think I mentioned I bot a spring dress thru Penney's catalog & am very pleased with it.  A blue & white print (not navy).  Had to shorten it as it was too long for my taste.

We had a late anniv. card from June.  She said Sharlynn's daughter Nikki had her 2nd baby, a son & she didn't want to write about the situation.  She wasn't married when the 1st came, a girl & maybe she still isn't married.

Gen called the other nite - she never writes - well, hardly ever.  I got 5x7 pictures of the family (one you like) to send to all the sisters in an Easter card.  June has been asking for pictures.  Larry & Kim paid for everything so you can settle with them.

Careys have been in Fla. the last 2 months.  Lar has checked the house.  They should soon be back & it will be nice to see them come & go again.  He is fully retired now.  The girls would like them to move to the Phila. area but Mary Ann like her home here.  Time will tell.  Paula is engaged to a lawyer so they have 1 more wedding to go thru.

Time to think about lunch.

Enjoyed the article re: rural churches.  Seems like the best answer to a difficult problem.

Dale got the miniature Corvette to go with a Corvette plate he ordered.  Now he ordered a Bel Air Chevy.  Like the cars you collect.

[New York Times article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment