Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thursday, December 11, 1986

I'll start a letter to go in your card. Today (11th) the Ministerial Assoc. met at First Meth. with the wives invited. We had a good time & there was a nice representation.

Tonite we go to church for our 2nd potluck this week. Tues the Senior group met at noon. Lots of good food. Tonite is for the family - carol sing & 2 films.

Fri. nite I go out with the "girls" from work - a combined Christmas & retirement party for one who turned 62.

Dad attended a mtg. in Sheffield for Luth. Roman Cath. & Episcop. One of the priests asked Dad which church he served. When Dad said he was retired the priest said, "I bet you're the happiest man here".

Today we finally had sunshine - think that last time we saw it was Dec. 1st. Maybe we'll see the moon tonite as it's almost full.

We haven't sent you pkg. yet as I'm waiting for something. But it'll get there as U.P.S. goes fast. All my gifts are wrapped. So is the tree up & decorations so it looks like Christmas is soon here. Cards are coming & it's fun to hear from old friends & what is happening in their lives.

Lar didn't wait for the lib. address & sent your pkg. to the apt. as you must know by now.

We heard from Svea & she is walking with a cane & hopes to be able to come to the wedding.

Fun to hear baseball news - the trades, etc. It won't be long & it will be here again. Doesn't look like Ray Knight will be a Met next yr. He wants too much money. We saw on N.Y. channel that Lenny Dykstra has a poster that will go on sale - I'm not interested!! Keith Hernandez would be another story!!! Ha!Ha!

Did I mention Dad put up the elec. train set in the D.R. on the window seat. It's on a board that overlaps. Has the lighted village scene & it looks nice & fun to "play" with - watch it go round, etc.



Read a good book "The Officer's Wives" by Thomas Fleming & really enjoyed it. About a class of '50 West Point grads, their wives & their experiences in "getting to the top". Talked about the unpopular war in Vietnam, how 1 wife pushed & schemed to get her husband to top rank, etc. It made me think - I lived thru that war, peace marches, long haired kids, and all & really didn't realize history was being made & a lot of it on the bad side. Usually I don't read books to make me think but this was a good exception. 645pp.

Haven't made cookies yet but plan to the week of the 14th. Will make caramels - they are so good. Got dad a box of Russell Stover Choc. for a gift - one we'll all enjoy!

The Chinese Golden Dragons - Acrobats & Magicians of Taipe are coming to the Library Theater Mon. Jan 12 & I want to see them. Later on (Feb or Mar.) the Penn State Glee Club will perform &^ I want to go to that also.

Sat A.M. I beautiful but cold day. Walked to the library & it felt good to exercise.

Dad called & got Dennis' phone number & we just talked to Barb. She promised to write & tell us what is happening in her life. Wouldn't say over the phone. We told her about Dale. Something is happening & I can't imagine what it could be. I hope she keeps her promise & writes. Hope it's not some crazy dream & that she is realistic.

If I get ambitious I might make cookies this aft. We went out for breakfast so will eat supper at home.

P.S. Your pkg. might be late because I couldn't make up my mind & ordered late. I'll try to be better next year. This is the 18th & I'm hoping I'll be able to send it by U.P.S. today. It will go to the library.

We have rain but it's suppose to turn to snow later today.

I've made cookies & plan to make some more. Otherwise we're all set. Lar & Kim won't be here til Christmas Day aft. as they open their gifts in the A.M., too Lar wasn't sure about Christmas Eve.

If you call, call later if you want to talk to Lar & Kim. Dale will be here at 9 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment