Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bonus Round: Letter to Mom and Dad, April 26, 1983

Though it is already a month late, spring is still trying to make its presence felt. Yesterday was its best effort yet: blue sky, bright sun, a high temperature of 75. But yesterday was a Monday, which means that we workaday grinds had no opportunity to take advantage of s much longed-for improvement in the weather. To ease my anxiety, I will take comfort in the fact that Sunday was almost as nice as yesterday, the only difference being a less balmy high temperature.

Sunday provided our first decent conditions of the year for a softball practice, our usual two hours of batting and fielding. We will be playing in a more competitive league this year, no doubt the result of being champs for the past three years and putting together a 27-game winning streak. Last summer we had our sights set on a perfect (14-0) season since that was the only way we could improve our former record. This summer, suffering no delusions, we will be satisfied with a .500 record. Most of the teams in our new league have extensive tournament experience. A schedule of 50 or games during the course of the summer is probably average for of lot of these guys.  My across-the-street neighbor (the recently constructed blue split level) corroborated this fact the other day during a conversation at the library.  He plays on what Dave and Dennis and I consider to be the most-feared team in the league we are entering.  He did mention that family responsibilities (he has a wife and two young daughters) will probably cut into his participation this season.  His team members seem to be following the same family planning schedule as mine.  Each summer we have an increasing number of young fans in the stands.  Future talent to keep the team populated when the eternal adolescents finally decide to hang up the gloves.

Speaking of baseball, I have already attended my first Brewers game of the young season.  Two weekends ago, Dave, Bob, Dirk, and I traveled to Mundelein, Illinois, to participate in the Northern Illinois Open Dart Tournament.  Due to the impressive caliber of the competition, we did not fare too well.  Rather than throw money away for Sunday's entry fees, we agreed on a complete change of scene:  from a Holiday Inn to County Stadium.  Temperature at game time was barely above freezing, but the bottle of blackberry brandy we smuggled into the ballpark helped to ward off the chill.  Of course, the Brewers' early command of the game and their eventual 6-3 victory over the Kansas City Royals also helped us to maintain a warm circulation flow.

Tonight marks the end of the winter dart league.  Since we clinched first place last week, the only excitement this evening will be the scramble for second place.  Next Tuesday the softball season begins, which means that the string of crazy Tuesdays will remain unbroken at least through August.

I have heard nothing about my 15th-year high school reunion.  If I had written Mardi the January letter I promised her at Christmas, I might be more informed on this matter.  By now, most of the key planning matters (place, time, band, etc.) must be complete.  I still plan to go and would like to take some extra time off so the trip doesn't turn out to be a mad dash to  Warren and back.  I could use a few leisurely spent summer days in Warren.

John, the new director, is doing an excellent job.  Even with the improved change in the working atmosphere of the library, I still find myself unable to get excited about much of anything.  There is still a sour taste in my mouth from the last five months of the Dick Miller Show.  An even more important consideration is the fact that I will have been here for five years this August.  Resume time update?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  The problem is that I still like it here too much to think about leaving.  I need to decide what is more valuable:  my professional or social development.

A letter!  A letter!  He actually wrote us a letter!  That puts my average at one every two months.  I plan to show further improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment