Friday, November 8, 2013

Tuesday, August 2, 2005


Larry gave himself a "buzz" haircut.  He likes it -- easy to wash & easy to comb, meaning he doesn't have to comb it.

The bridge is opened but not completely finished.  The sidewalks have to be finished.  We haven't driven over it yet --I don't' go to the Dr. until Oct.

Last Fri. we went to Jamestown.  I only got groceries at Wegman's.

This A.M. I was ambitious.  Washed the counters, moving everything.  Washed the windows, even tried to do the outside but didn't do a good job.  I'm getting too old to climb by the sink & try to get the outside & not get it streaked.  Afraid I'll fall.  Anyway when Barb came downstairs my work inspired her to start cleaning the kitchen. She washed the walls by the sink & the cupboard woodwork.  Cleaned the lower cupboards & they look nice.  She's cleaning in sections as she went to Lynn's in the aft.

When I read your letter about the dinner -- I had to look in the dictionary to see what kind of sauce you had with the lamb.  I found out it is made with egg yolks, lemon, rice & chicken broth.  I thought I had memorized the spelling but I can't recall how it starts.

Gen called me last Fri.  Ed built a little place for swimmer to change.  Gen said 2 girls are sleeping there & won't leave & she didn't know what to do.  I was sure that wasn't true & I told her to lock the doors & forget about it.  Called Millie on Sat.  She said when she lived in Spfld. a neighbor had Alzheimer's & she was always saying someone is in her garage.  Gen also says Ed isn't dead -- he has a girlfriend.  Millie thinks Gen thinks John is Ed, because she never talks about John.  Just says the boys help her.

Larry & Kim had a busy weekend last Fri-Sun.  On Fri they went to a wedding in the Pittsburgh area -- a former student.  Sat. & Sun. they went to Niagara on the Lake with another couple who are older.  We'll hear about their weekend on Thurs.  Niagara on the Lake is near St. Catherine, Canada.

Our pastor is back.  Elaine Jacobson Crandall, Barb's age, was the "grandma" to be in charge of the baby.  Different ones will help out during the service.  Elaine's oldest daughter is expecting so she will get getting some practice.

Last weekend Sheila (hair) & her husband were going to Pittsburgh for the weekend.  One nite they were going on a 3 hr. cruise featuring a fish buffet -- all kinds of fish.  Sounds interesting.

Last nite there wasn't much on TV so I turned to TCM & there was a good movie:  Key Largo with Lauren Bacall, Claire Trevor, Humphrey Bogart, Ed. G. Robinson & Lionel Barrymore.  It meant I had to stay up longer but I couldn't leave it.  It was so good.  And all those stars.  It was great.


Thurs the 4th

I was up at 5AM -- you say "why when she is retired & could sleep in?"  I wanted to get a carrot cake in the oven & pot. salad made before it got too hot.  I don't turn on the AC til later.  I open the doors & windows to cool off & put the dining room fan on.  Then I got dressed, etc., watered the plants, rose bushes, pot & all.  Decided to pick some ripe blueberries off our bush & now I'm resting.  Soon I'll have a cup of coffee & sample the carrot cake.  We're having steaks, pot. salad, green beans, & broccoli salad & carrot cake for our Thurs nite dinner.  Barb does the grilling & the rest of the meal is in the fridge.  Just the beans to fix.  I'll sit in my chair & watch my favorite TV programs.

The last week of July there was Vacation Bible School.  The last Sun. of July some of the children sang the new song in church & 2 older ones had the sermon on the Bible verses used.  Denise Johnson Windlow's oldest daughter had a part & she speaks so well, loud enough & with expression.  Will be a soph. at Wrrn. Hi.  She has lectored & does a great job.  Nice to see the youth take a part in the service.

I paid the tax bill on the house & also the insurance on the house.  Also in Aug. I play for the newspaper for a year plus a tip for the paperboy.  And I still have money in my checking acct.  I'm very fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment