Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sunday, May 15, 2005


Yesterday I wrote a thank you to John for his letter & pictures.  Also wrote a note to Gen.

Today was Pentecost & we were encouraged to wear red.  I got a 2-piece red dress when we went to Erie several years ago.  Red jacket & a printed red shift.  Haven't worn it that much. After the service we went right into the meeting about the organ.  One part is completely gone & the other 3 parts will be going so the company suggested fixing all of them, as well as releathering another part & a cleaning.  They said the value of the organ is one half million & they also said more work will be needed in a dozen years or more.  When they called for a motion a few second went by so I made the motion & Betty Casey seconded it.  It will cost $3200.00 & a member left a $3000.00 gift to the church & they'll use that.  All yeses, no no's.  Once they get started it will take about 10 days.

Did you happen to see the Weather Channel & the bit on Great Falls' Giant Springs, now Giant Springs Park.  It was interesting.  Brought back memories of your trek to Giant Springs, wasn't it -- or along the river.

This little interlude will have to do.


Some small birds are trying to build a nest in the hanging basket on the porch.  To stop them we put some small sticks to prevent it.  I have to water the plants & it drowns the nest. They must use the trees for nests, not my plant!

Dad was assigned to Hartford for his intern year.  During the summer before his last year at the Seminary, he served a large church in Peoria, Il. & when the summer was over, they asked him if he would consider a call as the pastor had left.  He said he didn't think he should start out in a large congregation.  His friend Gordon Loren had a call to Bainbridge Island & Dad had the one from Auburn & I think that is why he accepted the call.  There were also some interns in Seattle & the group got together & had a good time.

Maybe he wanted to get away from the family.  I don't remember him saying too much about it.  I do know that Stella & Frank liked to be the ones in control.  We weren't home that much & when we were things went pretty well.  Maybe it was more with the sisters.  I know, tho, they liked me as a wife for their brother, or approved.  It is really sad about Ruth. Too bad she won't even try & make it easier on Mim.  My mother was the one to care for her parents & she always said she hoped she wouldn't be in the same boat & she wasn't.  I think every parent hopes that.

Today in church our pastor asked those to stand who weren't lifetime Lutherans.  Surprising how many stood & looking around, I noted many were brought into the church by Dad.


I'm enclosing an article about one of our members.  It is interesting to read about the prices in the restaurant she & her mother ran.  She always enjoyed Dad's visits when her husband was sick.  She always started the coffee pot when he called.  He was very good about bringing communion to the shut-ins.

Alice Nasman called me tonite to find out about the meeting & was glad to hear the organ will be repaired.  But we talked over an hour & I thought she'd never hang up.  Her feelings are easily hurt so the conversation went on & on.  Maybe she just needed someone to talk to.


Tues. the 17th

Last nite I had to turn on the heat & this A.M. it was 34 & the heat went on to take the chill off.  It's too late to be using the furnace.

Yesterday Dale went to the dentist at 8 A.M. & then took off for Erie for an 10 a.m. appt with the neurologist for a checkup.  He got a new medication . He was back at work at 11:30.

This A.M. after breakfast I read my book "Sleeping Beauty" by Judith Michaels from 7-8 A.M. Then I did the dishes, showered, got dressed &^ made my bed up clean.  Did a load of clothes, read some more.  Then Barb took me to vote at Holy Redeemer.  Back home I read some more, made lunch & read all aft. & finished my book.  It was so good.  Over 500 pages.  So I didn't do much today but read.  The Schwan man came & I got pork chops & I fixed stuffed pork chops for supper.  I didn't even watch my "soaps".

We went to the library yesterday & I got 4 books.  A small one to read next Tues while I wait at the dentist's office.  Fern Michael's "Trading Places", "The Side of the Angels" by Leona Blair, & "Into the Darkness" by Barbara Michaels.

They want to close the Naval Station at Niagara Falls & of course they are upset & will try to fight it.

Just like they want to fight the closing of the Sheffield grade school . They would be bussed to Clarendon.  The school tax will go up.

I'd like to start reading another book but I won't let myself because I never want to lay it down.  I have to do some work tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod for Erie Mayor.  The Erie paper didn't endorse R. Filippe (if that's how you spell it).


Wed A.M.

I worked this A.M. But still am tempted to start another book.  Have to plan Thurs. menu first.  Kim won't be coming -- her club meets that nite.

I did what I said I shouldn't do.  I said I'll only read 100 pages & I'm on p. 160.  I cant put it down.  484 pages.

Sat. Dale & 5 others from work are going to a stock care race in Indianapolis -- the cars to 1/2 mile in 3-4 seconds.  They will leave at 3:30 a.m. Sat. morning.  It takes 6 hours to get there.  They'll stop for breakfast along the way.  Randy Swanson is driving he has a van.

Thurs. nite.  Correction they are going to Columbus, Ohio.  It is drag racing.

Finished my book this aft. & it was such a good book.

In the library how do you choose board members?  Do you always like the ones who are chosen.  Is it hard to find people who choose to accept?  Just curious.  I got a letter from our library wanting a donation.  I'll probably send a donation.


No comments:

Post a Comment