Friday, February 15, 2013

Saturday, October 25, 2003


I was sorry to hear of June's death.  But I guess it was to be expected - -she lived a long life. 90 years.  She & Ruth were born in 1913.

Thurs. nite I didn't sleep well at all.  I was really tired last nite & went to bed by 8:20.  And I made up for Thurs. nite.  Got up about 6:45 a.m. today.  It's a cloudy day.  Made banana bread, read the paper, made a grocery list but mostly just taking it easy.

Tonite I will see 9 innings of baseball unless the Yankees are way ahead, then I'll switch to another channel.

Yesterday my pastor friends met for lunch in Franklin.  Ted & Sue came from Ohio & Ted & Pat would have picked me up but I didn't go.  Just didn't feel like hearing the 2 Teds & their know it all taking over the conversation.  I might have fallen asleep.  I wasn't feeling up to it.

Nov. 7th I have a Dr. appt. & that is the wrong aft. for Barb to take me.  So I called Joyce O'Connor & asked for a favor (she had told me to call if she could help in any way) & she will take me.  I wanted to take her out to dinner but she said no to that.  She said people do favors for me & I do favors for others.

Barb's (O'Connor) daughter is expecting around Dec. 26th.  So the family is going to Philly for a shower for her.  Bev's son's wife had a baby in Oct. so Joyce is already a great grandmother.  Melissa is going to be an optometrist & will have 6 mo. left.  Her husband is taking his residence years in a Philly hosp.  Still has a couple of years left.  High school sweethearts.

Sun. Oct 26

I was so happy last nite to see the Marlins win.  Pastor Beth is from Fla. & very happy they won.  Denny Crandrell is a Yankee fan & very unhappy.  He is married to Elaine Jacobson & they are active members.  The Marlin pitcher did so well & only 23.  Now we'll be hearing about changes in the team's players.  Who will go where.  Will Torre be back in N.Y. Baseball is my favorite sport, but I like to watch all of them.

Tues. the 28th

Millie called Sun nite & she was telling me more about the retirement home.  She has already started to get rid of things.  In Dec. Linda will check to see how close Millie is to get in. She said Spfld. is really getting bad.  People don't go downtown any more.  They are afraid to.  She won't miss Spfld.  Once they tell her she has a place, she'll have 30 days to get ready to move.  That makes it hard as she  might not be able to sell the house that fast. And she doesn't want to put it up for sale now for fear it would see fast & she'd be left without a home.  The agent said to leave any furniture she doesn't want as furniture adds to selling a house.  I hope it all works out.

Barb started her Christmas shopping & has a good start.  I have some thoughts about what I want to do.

With standard time back, it sure gets darker earlier & makes for a long evening.

Let me tell you about this nite in Auburn, Wn.  My mother was with us & Dad was meeting with a couple with problems.  Around 11 pm, Mom & I went to bed & as I got into bed my water broke.  Dad got home & around 3 AM Dad called the Dr. & off we went to the hosp. Can't remember the exact time but you were born between 5-6 AM.  It was a busy time as several babies were born thru Halloween.  I was in the hosp. 5 days, I think. When I got home I had to make formula & a member L. G. Strand came -- he had to see the new baby.    And you were good & didn't even cry for a feeding until after he left. And that's the start of our family.

Wed Oct 29

This A.M. I made a white cake for dessert tomorrow.  Then I washed the floor & I'm always glad that's done for 2 weeks.

At lunch time Dale said no treats?  And I didn't have any so after my soap & now watching Perry Mason, I made some brownies.  The recipe uses Hersheys choc. syrup & I like that recipe.  It also has a recipe for the frosting -- using choc. chips & miniature marshmallows. We're having an easy supper.  Spag. & meatballs & the meatballs were frozen & I used ready made sauce.  Oh I also made an easy recipe.  Snack Mix Squares for Sheila & Sue. They close the shop on Halloween -- their favorite holiday -- dress up & visit some schools, nursing homes & they come here to show me their costumes.  So I always have a treat for them.  It contains the small stick pretzels, corn chex & M&M's.  Make a mixture of oleo,k peanut butter & miniature marsh. melted together.  Pour it over the pretzels, etc., press it in a buttered foil-lined pan & let set.  It's good.  This year they are dressing in old fashioned bathing suits.  I'll tell more next letter.  They always do a great job dressing up.

I'll finish this & then walk to 5th to mail it.

We're having a warm spell & enjoy it.

Nothing special going on with Lar & Kim, or the rest of us.  I turned one of the calendars to Nov.  Soon it will be Thanksgiving.  But it is fun thinking about Christmas preparations & receiving Christmas cards from friends in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment