Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday, October 11, 2003


Thanks so much for the pictures about Andy's group & the dance.  It was so much fun to study them & I'm glad you put names down.  Andy & his date make a nice couple.  Has Andy ever changed!  He's a big one -- football hero!

I'm watching the Yankees at Boston.  They had a "big rhubarb" & Zimmer runs out on the field & Pedro M. pushes him down.  He should know better & stay sitting on the bench. He is 72.


The ordination service was very impressive.  About a dozen pastors -- Jim S. & Diane were there & I got to talk to them.  Diane looks good & so does Jim.  He is getting quite gray. The Episcopalian Bishop assisted as well as Pastor Beth's husband.  They are both very nice.  About a dozen pastors, 3 of them women & 2 assisted in the service.  Of course the Bishop of our Synod presided.  During communion you could drink the wine from the cup or have intinction, which I did.  Kept the bread in my hand, held it out to the wind giver & she dipped it in the wine & put it in my mouth.  All very new for our people. I'm sure new methods will be introduced when we have a young pastor & I'm sure she has a lot of ideas.  Just hope she will take them gradually.

Barb wants to know if you or JoAnna have read David McCullough's John Adams?  It is Bert's book & she lent it to Barb & Barb is enjoying it a lot.

Late Fri. aft. Dale started digging by the side of the garage facing the house. He wants to put the TV cable in so when he works in the garage he can watch TV or as in the summer when he is suntanning he can hear it.  He got the cable in, working at it all day, but has to get it connected now.

Fri. we went up to the Mall & I got a new bathrobe, nightie & girdle.  I really need a new dress but I can't find anything suitable.  The styles seem to be very different this season -- nothing for an old lady.  And I don't like to order from the catalog.

Barb took the picture (Andy's) to show Marisa & Scott.  And I plan to show them to Sheila. They have a 3rd girl working with them now.

I finished my pumpkin puzzle & have the new one set to start.  I haven't put this one together before.

Got the Nov. Bon Appetit & the Pumpkin Cheesecake with gingersnap crust sounds interesting.  I'll copy it down.  Also a lemon pie.


Sun A.M. before church.

Bet there was a lot of celebrating last nite when Wisc. beat OSU.  Watched the end of the first half when I realized the Cubs would win.  One more win & they are in the World Series. Can you believe it?  Bet Roland is happy.  They say once a Cub fan, always a Cub fan.

Mon. the 13th

Larry bro't over his rototiller for Barb to use on the garden.  She added lime & leaves to the soil to enrich it thru the winter.  Our leaves haven't started to fall so she got 3 bags full at Johanson's.

We get our favorite cheese at BiLo's & we're down to the last pkg.  So when we shopped at Quality I got some cheddar cheese, not realizing it was extra strong.  Barb suggested I make a cheese sauce for broccoli and it was very tasty.  Didn't have too strong a flavor.

I ordered a blouse from the Penney's catalog but it won't be available until Nov. 1st.  Hope they won't be out of it.  Guess I waited too long.

Barb finished the sweater she made for me & she is anxious to start one for herself.  She doesn't like to shop at Walmart's but she stopped there last Fri & found yarn she liked.

I got our library newsletter today & I'll send it to you.  It tells how the library got started & it is very interesting.


Tues A.M.

What do you hear from Mardi P?  Can't remember her married name.  Wonder if they still like the Seattle area.

Remember I wrote about Mac Young who was killed in an accident.  Sons Craig & Robert. Well Mary Young has met a nice man -- she is so nice & always looks so good.  I'm glad for her -- Mac did everything for her & she was really lost for awhile.  Mary works for lawyer Mark Ristau.

Every Tues. A.M. a group of ladies meet at church to quilt (one is given to a baby at baptism), to knit lap robes and such.  Barb started a sweater & didn't like the yarn, so she ripped it & I bro't the yarn to church this A.M. as they can reuse the yarn.  Irma Thelin was there & she said Robert preached in Ridgway last Sun. & wore Dad's cross for the first time. Irma still mentioned how pleased Roger is to wear Dad's cassock & cross.  It was such an easy thing & appreciated so much.

Have dinner rolls set to go in the oven in a few minutes.  Also set Danish which I'll finish tomorrow A.M.


Heard from Millie today & she is happy as next spring she hopes to move into a retirement home in Falmouth, Ma.  She is 6th on the list.  Larry bot a 2nd home there so at times she will see them & she will be close to Linda.  Gen isn't very happy to hear this news.  The place is on 7 1/2 acres & they plan a lot of things -- going to Boston, concerts  etc.  She can walk to a church, library, bank, grocery store.  The only extra will be telephone & cable. She's already talked to a real estate salesman.  She's really excited about this & glad to give up her house & all that owning involves   I'm happy for her.  Where she is, is on a slant & she has to walk to get her mail or paper.  It's not that far but with ice & snow in the winter, then it is difficult.  She says now I'm going to have a life.  Millie loves people & gets along with people very well.

Oct 15th - I'm 83 years old.  Imagine that.

I found a recipe for apple bread.  It came out good & both Dale & Barb liked it.

Lar called yesterday & asked if I'd like to go out to eat on my birthday so we're going to Chiodo's at 6:30 p.m.  This A.M. I baked my Danish.  When I put the garbage in the garage, the new neighbor was raking leaves so I went over & spoke to her.  When I got back in the house I saw the rolls sitting there, so I went back out & gave her 8 rolls as a welcome to the neighborhood.  Dale took one for an aft. snack & Barb took one for Scott & one for her so I had about 8 left.  Naturally I sampled 2!

Thanks for the cards.  I can't recall what I mentioned wanting for Christmas.  But I'll be on the lookout for a pkg.

I just didn't feel good & my legs just gave away.  Some morning I haven't felt up to par but I'm just about back to normal.  I have lost weight as I didn't have much of an appetite, but it's improving.

I also made a choc. cake this A.M.  Had meat out for meatballs & spag. so I fixed the meatballs & they will be ready for Fri. supper.  Baked them in the oven -- easier that way.

Dale hates to drive over the 5th Ave bridge but Barb uses it all the time.

When I mentioned Andy's scowl in the picture, both Lar & Dale said "that's the football player coming out."

I have the same trouble matching navy & black socks even with the over head light on in the laundry area.  Even hard to match black to black.

Thurs. when Lar & Kim come, I plan to have a turkey breast, mashed pot., sweet pot., fruit salad & maybe green beans.  Cake & ice cream for dessert.  My birthday choice.

A piece of the house siding came loose -- the top ones aren't nailed down.  It was Tues & Dale's nite to work til 8 pm so I called Lar & he came over & fixed it.  With the hard winds we were to have I didn't want to put it off.  I'm lucky I can count on my children.

I'm not sure of Roger T's age but he is retired so maybe late 60's.


Thurs the 16th

The interim pastor started weekly communion & it went over well.  Lar & Kim tho't Roger T. must be in his early 70s.  We had a nice dinner last nite.  Your gift came yesterday but I waited to open gifts tonite.  The turkey breast smells good.

We had a good dinner.  I made a choc. cake from scratch & it is really good.  None of it will be thrown away.  Thank you for the sweater -- it fits nicely & I like the color.  A good choice. Thanks so much.  Kim & Lar paid for my dinner last nite & gave me a gift certificate for my hair.  I'll put it toward my next perm.  Kim thoguht the shop was so nice.  Barb gave me a light blue short sleeve pullover sweater.  I'm a lucky Mom.

I'm watching N.Y. vs. Boston & rooting for Boston.  Was surprised this A.M. to find out Fla. won.  I went to bed with the Cubs ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment