Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday, September 24, 2002


Dale wasn't satisfied with the contacts & eye exam he got from Jim Spangler.  Lar & Kim recommended him -- so he went back to the one he usually went to over town.  He got the new contacts & he is happy as now he can see the small print again.  He also got glasses to have on hand from Jim S. but could never wear them -- didn't see right in them.  Lar & Kim are very satisfied with Dr. Spangler.

We are back to the Tues. mtgs. 11:15 A.M. & the first one was today.  Roger Thelin is the leader & we have interesting sessions.  Roger has started on a series of 6 5 hr. sessions to become a licensed lay pastor.  He said the sessions are interesting  -- 6 are in the class.  We have a pot luck lunch & we also have an interesting menu of food.  I made a chicken noodle casserole & made enough for supper tonite.  One of my favorites.

I enjoyed reading about your library board mtg.  Do you have a good group of board members?  Dad always felt he had good council members & enjoyed them most of the time.

Marge Ristau mentioned today the former pastor Risher called her up.  I don't think he should do that.  The interim pastor was there & I wondered what he thought.  It's really a no!no!

Larry & Kim want to go to the Nelson reunion but that means bringing Torey along so they have to find a motel that would take dogs.

Gen called me last weekend to tell me that Edith isn't doing well at all.  In fact the hospital called last Sat. to tell them to come to the hospital.  She is full of poison from bad teeth.  Ed was always telling her to go to the dentist & the last time I was there I noticed how bad her front teeth were.  Maybe she has some soft of phobia against dentists.

When you were in Springfield you must have been in her home & could see what a good hostess she was, etc.  What a shame.  I hope they can save her.

This aft. I walked to CVS to have 3 prescriptions filled & since it's close to the end of the month (went & cashed a check for next month's expenses.  Then I file the money in various envelopes 00 food, spend, hair, stamps, etc.

The Mets are playing in Pittsburgh so we can see them on TV.  Not that there is much to see but maybe they can score some runs.  I live in hope!

I notice that Penn State plays in Wisconsin in a week or two.  That should be an interesting game to watch.  Penn State is much improved this year.


To answer your questions.  I graduated from high school in 1938.  That summer Aunt Helen took me to Minneapolis where her brother George Randolph lived.  He was a Lutheran pastor.  From Minneapolis we went to Alexandria, Mn for a week at Mt. Carmel Bible Camp.  Uncle George taught at the Lutheran Bible Institute & they thought I should attend there (to tame me down, I guess!!)  So I went there for the 2 year course & enjoyed those 2 years away very much.  Then I went home for 3 years & attended A.I.C. & gave up on college.  Both Gen & I went to Minneapolis but when my mother had a stroke she went back home to help out.  I found a job & then Pastor A. W. Knock, a teacher at LBI, asked if I'd be interested in a job in Rockford at his brother's church.  E. G. Knock.  I was interviewed, got the job in Feb.  The following August Carl came home from Auburn on vacation & you know the rest.  So I guess leaving home wasn't such a bad thing for me.  The funny part, one of those 3 years I was back home, Dad was at the church in Hartford in his intern year & we never met.  He was suppose to visit our Luther League but never made it.


Dale bo't another vacuum cleaner, a Hoover, which you don't like.  Fire sale but he took it apart to make sure there was no moisture.  It doesn't have a bag, just a cup that is easy to empty.  He was surprised at the amount of dog hairs it took up.  He is pleased with it.

Thurs. A.M.   I wanted something different to eat tonite when Lar & Kim are here so I got a turkey breast which happened to be on sale th is week at Quality.  I made an apple pie & fixed sweet potatoes this A.M.  A little preview of Thanksgiving.

We're expecting rain tomorrow from Isidore.  It will be nothing compared to what New Orleans is experiencing.

Time to sign off with love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment