Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunday, April 24, 1994



This hasn't been my spring.  My back is OK now; then a cold & cough.  Finally that was over & another took its place.  This time it's in my throat & I have laryngitis.  Started last Tues. & I still have it so I didn't go to church - can't sing, can't talk.

Last Fri. nite Bensons, Hollertzs & Schaffers came to Warren & we had dinner at Holiday Inn.  It was enjoyable but Pat Benson said it was quiet when Marion couldn't talk!!  Benson's retire next year & this summer will be putting up a home in the round on their property outside of Kane.  A prefab deal.  Hollertz retired last Nov &bot a house in Ridgway.  An older one (1870) but haven't done much yet.  Anne decided to work until Aug. to keep the money coming in.  They like to spend but they should do OK on their retirement.



On Barb's birthday Dad, Barb, and ( went out to dinner at Fernwood Inn - on the way to Sheffield - a little beyond the new bridge.  We celebrated again on Thurs. when Lar & Kim came to dinner.  She wanted a carrot cake & the recipe I used came out so good.



Dad sees the Dr. on Wed. & I hope he can do something to help.  So many times in the A.M. he's unsteady on his feet.  He called the Dr. awhile ago & he told him to stop one medication but it hasn't helped.  He didn't make it to church last Sun & he didn't go this A.M. either.  He was dressed to go but then decided against it.

He called Stella yesterday & found out that Dan didn't get to I.M. [Iron Mountain] as planned.  Didn't have the money but hopes to come sometime.  Stella is left to pay the bills & she can't afford 2 rents (payment on house).  They are working in Fla. but not at well paying jobs.  Stella gets lonesome - too bad she didn't stay in Rockford.

After about a year the Nelson round robin arrived.  It had slipped down in a chair at Ruth's & she finally found it.  It came around fast but we've had it about a week so I'll have to spur Dad on to help me write it.  It's my job now.

The roses you sent Barb are beautiful.  Yellow & so nice.  They have opened up & are still lovely.  A nice surprise.  I'll leave it to her to thank you.

She is enjoying her bike.  Yesterday she rode up to the high school but she had to stop a couple of times to make it up the hill.



All of the tests they gave Dale came back negative.  I'm after him to get more rest & it's a tough job.

Genevieve sent Barb a card & enclosed a picture of her head all wired up.  She was to hear last Thurs. the results of all the tests.

Kim and Kathy's business is closed & they have until the 30th to clean everything out.  The bldg. owner bot the flooring they put in for $1200.00 & they were selling the equipment they have - stereo, steppers, bar bells, etc.  The Y.W. has a group similar to what Kim did so some will go there.  Kim will get her exercise by daily walking the dog.  They go up over Washington Park to Beech St. &  back.  Taury doesn't have to be on the leash all the way so he can run.

Millie has retired now.  Steigers downtown closed & some of their mall stores were bot by a larger group.  Private stores can't compete now.  (Privately owned, that is.)  She will keep busy visiting Larry & Linda.  She is near the bus so can get out.  My cousin Frank Carlson had a stroke & is now in a place to get therapy like Edna did.  He was at Mercy Hosp & this place is part of that.  He joined Holy Name Church (Forest Park area) & went to Mass every A.M. before work.  Was surprised to hear that as they never went to church growing up.  Of the relatives my Dad was the only one who stayed with the church.



After 3 pages I must have covered all the news.  Usually when the env. is sealed I remember something.  Dale just got the paper so I'll read it & do my puzzle.

We all send our love.


No comments:

Post a Comment