Saturday, August 3, 2013

Sunday, January 16, 2005


The Steelers won yesterday but it was a tough one to watch.  We weren't sure until the end.  I'm watching Minn. at Philly but the exciting one will be the Colts at N.E.  People here are thinking the Steelers will go all the way.  I hope so but there is bout in my mind.

I bundled up to go to church this A.M.  It was 19 but it wasn't windy.  A widow in the congregation has a 300.00 gas bill & can't pay it.  So this A.M. the pastor asked for donations to help her, or her gas will be cut off. I just had my regular offering but next Sun./ I'll give some money to help.

Barb suggested we have pizza last nite while watching the game.  I ordered it & had made a pumpkin pie for dessert.  Had a coupon so  got a large pan supreme & had leftovers for lunch.

Both Barb & Dale had headaches yesterday.  Dale's was gone by aft. but Barb was in bed most of the day.

The paper announced the Templeton Funeral Home was sold to Peterson Blick.  Patterson's up the street owned it but it was never that busy.  He will receive payments over the next 10 years & will help part time.  Marilyn P. teaches with Kim & I wondered if she'd retire now.  (end of school year)  Lar didn't know -- I'll ask Kim on Wed.  They like to visit their daughters.  One teaches on the East Coast & the youngest is a nurse, married & living in Atlanta.

Yesterday's paper showed a picture of the 4 schools to be closed when the new school opens next fall.  Article said there is some interest in them.  Wonder if Jefferson will stand empty.  Nothing ever happened in the East St. School.  The parking lot is used for parking -- you pay to use it.

Thurs. we went to Jamestown -- temp in the 60s.  A beautiful day.  Just wore a blazer.  We ate lunch at the Red Lobster & enjoyed it.  We stopped 00 the name won't come to me -- & the Jamestown telephone book is no help -- at, not Lowe's but the other one to look for shelves for the basement storage.  We found what we wanted to fit against the one side of the shower.  2 shelves for Barb's garden supplies; 2 shelves for canned goods, flour, sugar, etc,  I buy on sale & don't have room for upstairs.  It is nice & strong.  The first one Dad got, needed to be attached to something to hold it better.  This one was more expensive & stronger.  Dale put it together.  No school tomorrow so Barb plans to get things in order.  A y ear or so ago Dale got a larger set of shelves set up for his stuff.  We also have an old bookcase Dad made, down there to store stuff.  Have to try to keep it neat.  Still take my shower in the basement even tho the temp was low.  The heater helps a lot & I prefer to shower there.  That was the big purchase.  Not the shower, the shelf.

Barb wants to look for a new exercise machine.  She mailed Laura's dress to Honolulu & it cost $30.00.  Laura has sent 100 dollars for postage & Barb could keep the rest.  She said she would buy me a puzzle.  Mostly just the green foliage is left to put in the puzzle on the card table.  I don't mind doing old puzzles & we have a pile of them.

I've never fixed chicken wings but maybe I'll try on Super Bowl Sun.  So I'll copy how you fix yours (in your last letter) only mine won't be so spicy.  I'm sure b-b-cue sauce will do fine for us.  Already it is the middle of the month so I won't have too long to wait to try this.  I'll check recipes for more ideas how to do it.  I love looking at recipes.

Wed. the 19th already

Mon. Dale picked up a tire the wrong way & his back is hurting, says he feels like an old man.  He plans to call the chiropractor today for an appt.  Jan. hasn't been a good month for him.

You can be glad you only have 2 sons when it comes to buying shoes.  And that you have a good income.

Barb has her 2 shelves finished in the basement.  I'm in no hurry to work in a cold basement.  She's in a hurry so she might fill them in & if I don't like it, I can rearrange to my satisfaction.  Barb wants to get a new exerciser, as I wrote already.

Martin Luther King day the kids had to go to school to make up a snow day.  Scott stayed home -- he didn't know it was a make-up day.  So he says & both Barb & Lynn stand up for him.   They push the ADHD thing to the limit.  To me he's just a shrewd kid & will do anything to get his way.

We finished the puzzle with no missing pieces.  Barb got me another one.  Yesterday we went to the library before getting groceries.  I got 3 books & a paperback.  The latter is "Dawn in Eclipse Bay" by Jayne Ann Krentz.  It is enjoyable reading.  Also "The Widows Club" by Dorothy Cannell.  Don't think I've read her books.  P.D. James' "Devices and Desires".  "Late Bloomers" by Fern Michaels.  My time will be spent reading for a change.  And we have the weather for staying inside. 

I have to make a dessert for tonite -- Wed. nite meal with Larry & Kim & Torey.

I use my bundt pan every other week when I make coffee cake for Dale's snack.  Saw a date bread recipe that sounds good.  Dale said he might like it.  Know I would.  If I don't have a snack on hand, I always have my rolls on hand.  I have one on Wed & Sun A.M.'s & sometimes inbetween.

Torey like to make the rounds of the neighbors for food & they love to feed him.  Tues. nite Kim was up as Torey had to go outside.  Later it was Lar's turn to take him out.  Then he wanted on their bed & Kim only had very little room & no blanket.  It was not a good sleeping nite for her.  Torey was restless so they left at 7:30.  After things were cleaned up, I was able to get back to my book by F. Michaels & I enjoyed it so much.  2 down, 2 go to.  Finished it this A.M. after my chores were done.  Bathroom had to be cleaned & dishes done.  The 1st 2 books are fun reading; I'm not as sure about the last 2.

I made the Baby Ruth bars from the 1st library book book.  Easy to make & good to eat.

Dale went to the chiropractor yesterday & has another appt. Fri.  I has helped.  Some time ago Lar tried the newest chiropractor & liked him.  They were (husband & wife) on the corner of Conewango & 5th (old store) but moved up on Fifth, just above where the Welshes lived, same side.  A dance studio used to be there.  Adelaide is now in a nursing home in Pleasant Township.

I'm not watching the inauguration & I'm missing my soaps!  Isn't that terrible!!!  Ha, Ha.  I keep checking & hope it is over, but no such luck.

It is 10 degrees but the sun is out so it seems nicer.

Gen called the other evening.  She said something is wrong with her head.  She can't remember how old she is.  I told her & she wrote it down.  John has a girlfriend.  Gen mentioned Ed & I said "He's dead isn't he".  "Oh no, he's around", but she doesn't know where.  She went on to say she was in church & lost her skirt & was so embarrassed, they left early.  Someone, I don't know who, was very upset & talked to Ed & Gen hasn't seen him since.  It's funny what the mind can make up -- but it is serious to her & she can't forget it & feels bad.

Better sign off & hope to get it in the mail soon.  I really miss the mail box on 5th.

Do you read the letters to the editor. Monty Foley has a letter in every so often.  He doesn't work & hopes to get SSI.  Back trouble.  An easy out as it is hard to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment