Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday, December 26, 2005


It sure is quiet today after the excitement of Christmas.  I didn't wake up til 6:20 this A>M. As I was going downstairs, I heard Dale's voice.  "I'm not going to work today.  I have congestion in my chest."  So he has been taking it easy.  Resting & he hasn't eaten that much.

I did my regular duties of washing 3 loads & making Dale's bed with clean sheets.  After lunch Barb & I went grocery shopping.

We had a nice Christmas & Santa was very good to all of us.  The 2 silver trays you gave me are very pretty & I like them a lot.  We all got the regular run of gifts.  The dishes from Lar & Kim are very pretty & looked so nice on the table.  The biggest problem is where do I store them.  Barb says we'll have to look for a shelf for the basement to store them.  Barb was so pleased the boys liked their gifts.  She fretted over them once she had ordered them so was happy to hear they were pleased.

I didn't get last week's letter mailed until today & most likely it won't go out til tomorrow.

It's been trying to snow today but it is still mild.  Dale gave me a new outdoor thermometer & put it up on the font porch.  One that is easier to read.  He also gave me an oven (meat) thermometer & I used it on the turkey breast for Christmas.  Worked fine.

Last Fri. at Shults they had a pot luck lunch at noon.  They  had prizes & Dale finally won something -- $50.00.

Heard from Gerald & Darla.  Chance is in the 5th grade & doing well.  They were expecting one of her sons & family for Christmas.

At the grocery store today, I noticed a jump in some of the prices of groceries & meat.  Must be the high price of transportation.

Thurs. I don't have to fix dinner so as will be going to Lar & Kim's.  They'll put the queen sized mattress in the guest room.  It isn't that old so should be more comfortable the next time you visit.  The king-sized bed will provide more room for Kim as Torey sleeps with them now.  They hate to push him off when he is getting old & slower.  It will be a sad day when they have to put him to sleep.

Barb has been using my car keys.  She can't find hers.  She has looked thru her jacket & no keys.  They must have dropped somewhere.

There was an article in today's paper concerning churches are hurting because the high cost of heating bills.  Churches like First Methodist are most likely wishing their church was less cathedral like now.  People don't want to sit in a cold church.

Made a date bread for Christmas breakfast & Kim really like it.  It is a favorite of mine.  I didn't get any Bond Ost cheese this year as only Larry & I like it.  It is quite pricey now.

Sheffield is losing 2 companies due to them closing or moving away.  Kim thinks that could affect the Sheffield schools as she thinks people will have to move away.  If the schools should close she would have seniority & "bump" a new teacher.  She wouldn't care to go to the high school as her friend teaches there & said the kids are bad.  Barb always thinks Sheffield is so bad but I say all the schools have problem kids.  "Oh, Sheffield is worse."  So it pleased me to hear Kim say because Warren is larger, they have more problems.  She'd go there if she had to, to continue teaching, but would prefer the younger grades.  It won't happen tomorrow, but it is on her mind.  When you kids went to school there never was an asst. superintendent.  Now there is with a hefty salary.  That could be a savings.  The school population is much smaller now.

Tues. the 27th

Dale went to work today.  He told me he was scared -- maybe he thought it was heart pains. But wasn't.  He dozed a lot all day.  At times he had a blanket around him because he felt chilled.  Can't remember if I wrote John sent pictures of their wedding.  Took 22 hrs. to get to Manila.  His best friend was with him as he also has a Phillipino girlfriend.  Fe must come from a well-to-do family judging by the pictures of her home & of the wedding.

I sit here wondering what I should do.  Can't do much until we take the tree & decorations down for another year.  It's easier just to be lazy!

My next letter will have an increased postage stamp on it.

Thurs A.M.

We went to the library on Tues. & I got 5 books, 2 of them new authors.  Read Thunder Creek by Jill Gregory, set in Wyoming & enjoyed it a lot.  Will look for more of her books. Read Double Shot by Diane Mott Davidson.  It was OK but not enough to make me read another of her books.  The 3 old faithfuls -- Twilight Whispers by Barbara Delinsky & The Bailey Chronicles by Catherine Cookson.  Both sound so good.  I can't decide which to read first.  Then White Kat by Sandra Brown.  I'll read that last as it sounds familiar but I like her.

We never got Eddie's latest school picture.  Didn't he like it?

It is nice to have a Thurs. when I don't have to plan a meal.  Or make a dessert.  My New Year's resolution is to fill each daily square with a meal plan so I will be prepared.  Hope I'm successful as that is my downfall.  One of them anyway!

Fri. A.M.

We had a nice time at Lar & Kim's last nite.

The Bailey Chronicles by Cookson is such a good book.  I'm enjoying it so much.  550+ pages.  almost finished.

Barb & I are going out to lunch.  Her treat for me making cookies for Lynn & Bob & family.

P.S.  Your Christmas letter was such a great idea & so much fun to read.  Thanks for including it.


No comments:

Post a Comment