Thursday, September 23, 2010

(Bonus Round: Letter from Barb) September 14, 1978

I'm sitting here listening to Robin Trower with Dracula on the tube.  I don't usually watch TV with the stereo on, but I get annoyed with commercials.

I wish I had black and white film in my camera because I'd like to shoot a few exposures.  The movie is in black and white and the acting is stage acting, which is better for a shot.  This must be the original Dracula movie with  Boris Karloff.  Tomorrow night the Wolfman will be on.  (Missed it...in the morning.)

I will be renting a 5'x8' U-haul.  It will cost me about 80.00 for the fees.  I will be paying for the tolls & gas for Dad.  I figure that he is doing me a big favor by driving me out to Oshkosh.

Damn!  I'm so pissed because I don't have any film  The maid just fainted.  Now the crazy man is crawling on the floor ready to attack the maid.

I have been taping.  I am taking the best songs and putting a different artist on each tape.  I did a tape of Moody Blues Greatest Hits.  It's a good mellow tape.

These few weeks since I came back from  Bermuda have just dragged on for me.  I have many feelings I am experiencing now.  I feel very closed in now and I am thoroughly dissatisfied.  I'm ready to leave.  I'm also a little bit frightened.  I didn't feel frightened when I left for boot camp.  (I've been back in the nest too long.)

The only thing that is giving me pleasure is my sewing.  I have found a few sales & I've been sewing like mad.  I've made 5 blouses, 1 dress, 1 skirt, & 1 vest.  I plan to be busy all week with sewing.

I bought a jogging outfit today on sale.  Warren is having its big sidewalk days downtown.  I don't like spending too much money since I don't have an incoming cash flow, but it was only $11.00.

I am framing two posters that I got in Florence.  Both posters have a bright yellow background & the frames are black.  They are copies of photographs, one is of a WWI French soldier holding his girl and the other is an Italian coffee advertisement.

I really am not in the mood for letter writing.

I'm sure I'll have plenty to say when I see you.  It's funny that we should end up as roommates and not taken the typical roles.  A few people asked if you were married.

Take care of yourself and I'll be seeing you real soon!

P.S.  Did you hear that Dale got a new car.  It's nice for $1000.00.  Dale is still partying like crazy.  I think he should get out of Warren.  But I'm only his sister and I don't run his life.

September 17
I want to add a note.

I got my pictures back from the lake.  A few turned out really good.  I'm sending you the picture of you holding Marie.  It is the best shot that I have taken of you.  I like the picture that you took of me sitting in the Chris Craft.  I still have yet to receive the slides I took.

It will be an interesting experience being roommates.  I am very happy with the arrangement because I feel we will enjoy each other's company.  We both have similar interests and we are both flexible.  I think sharing an intellectual friendship is very stimulating.  I know what it is like not having a person to relate to.  So overlooking a few minor conflicts we will undoubtedly run into, I think it will be a pretty satisfactory arrangement. 

Mary (she went to Bermuda with me...a Navy friend from Norfolk) lives in Champaign, Ill.  She has a cousin who lives outside of Chicago.  We plan to meet in Chicago, that is after I'm settled and hopefully have found a job.

Before I get too long and involved in this letter I will close here.

This will be my last letter to you for some time.  (You might think I'm crazy mailing you letters from the apartment!)

Enjoy...enjoy.

P.S.  When mom saw the enclosed picture of you she beamed and said, "Wouldn't Paul look nice as a father."  I should have told her that maybe you were.  (Just kidding, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment