Friday, September 24, 2010

January 1, 1979

What a disappointment - Penn State lost but they beat themselves.



Guess I'd better get back to my schedule of writing letters and I'll try not to make too many mistakes.  I have a list of things to write about so here goes.

We had a real nice Christmas and like your gifts.  We got the usual gifts and I like the hamper I got and a clothes basket.  The dirty clothes go in the hamper and then I use the basket to carry them downstairs.  Also lie the dresser set I got and Dale gave me a lovely cut glass vase made in W. Germany.  Lar gave me a Tote umbrella that folds.  We didn't have turkey for dinner this year - had a beef roast.   I used the pretty place mats and I like them a lot.  Dad loves his gift and he is doing the sunflower pattern first and it looks so nice.  He has his eye on a rug he'd like to make sometime.  In the Women's Day magazine there is instructions to make a hooklatch rug.  In 18" squares that you sew together so it is easier to handle.  Using the granny pattern popular in afghans.  I cut out the instructions as I would like to try that.

The bowl in the package arrived broken - Dale said you didn't pack it good enough.  Judy went to Washington, DC for Christmas and I don't know if she is back yet.  She hopes to go home to Chile.  I didn't get a chance to give her or Alexandra a gift.  She stopped by with a gift for me when I wasn't home and it is 4 nice bowls for dessert or such.

We had 11 inches of snow for Christmas and the roads were bad so I didn't get out from Sun. til Thurs. when we went to Jamestown in the a.m. and I had my hair appt. in the aft.   We got a few after-Christmas bargains - wrapping paper and more lites for the tree.  Fri. we wanted to go to Erie but the mail was slow and I was waiting for my check and we didn't want to drive back in the dark so we didn't get to go so went to J.town again.

Max [Barb's best friend going back to grade school] stopped by the Sat. before Christmas and Sylvia, too.  I had made bread and rolls and knowing how Max loves the bread I called and asked if she would be home and she said they just talked about stopping in.  We had a nice visit and she looks so good.  Gained 15 lbs.  Her "old man" gave her a pretty ring with 2 diamond chips and 2 pearls - and a gold chain plus the trip and money to spend.  He is writing his memoirs this year.  The fire in Calif. was close to where they live.  It was fun to see her again.  She kissed both of us - Dad and me.

I'm starting a "retirement chest" which is the opposite of a hope chest.  Have some towel sets in it, new corelle dishes and serving dishes, canister set and each payday plan to get little things I want like more dish towels and another paring knife, etc.

We are enjoying our stereo a lot.  Dale has his in the bedroom.  He did a nice job on his speakers and they really sound good.

It was nice to talk to both of you today.  Have a good 1979 even tho it doesn't seem possible we are starting another year.  Guess this is all of the news.  Am starting to think about work tomorrow - really enjoyed the vacation and I know I will also enjoy retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment