Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sunday, August 1, 1999


The Mets finally beat the Cubs in 13 innings & what an exciting & frustrating time.  Both teams used most of their players & it seemed neither team wanted to win.

It's finally cooling off.  Just turned off the A.C. & opened doors & windows.  Nice breeze.

Today at 4 pm Lar & Kim were entertaining the Crary Home residents at camp.  Grilling hamburgers, having corn, etc.  Fri. Lar made the final payment on the Miata.


If I read your letter correctly you leave on Thurs. for La.  And you should have enjoyed a visit from Tony & family.  Friendships are so nice to keep up & a visit is even nicer.  And you have another one to look forward to.


Gen called the other nite & they've made good use of the pool during the hot spell.  They have blueberry plants & are enjoying the berries & blueberry pie.

Aunt Esther was 100 in June & is bedridden & they have a tube to feed her.  Warren (cousin) is trying to get her off the tube but it takes time, etc.  He must have power of attorney but it requires permission so it takes time.  A living will is best.

To see our downtown area today is sure different from what you saw on the internet.  I think the Busy Bee has changed hands & Lar thinks the Texas lunch is still there but I think there is a new owner also.  A popular place to eat here is the Plaza.  It is really busy & noisy during the lunch hour.  Good food.

Aug 7.

Now it's Sat. nite & I'm watching the Mets beat L.A.  The Mets are really hot now & I love it.  [They were ahead, but lost.]

It has cooled off a lot & it is so enjoyable, especially sitting on the front porch.  Good for baking & I've made cookies & rolls.

Mon. the 9th, Barb, Kim & I are going to Jamestown for lunch & shopping.

Got your letter today.  Sounds like Tony & family's visit was a great success.

I'll be anxious to hear all about your trip to La.

When does football practice start for Andy.  What will Eddie be doing - probably soccer.  How's his bike riding coming.

Reread the letter & realized I've neglected to finish it sooner.  Last Tues. Betty Casey & I went to lunch.  Every booth & table was in use at the Plaza so we went to Penn Laurel & had a nice lunch.  Much quieter there & more class.

We have the railing up on the front porch steps.  It looks nice I think, but it didn't satisfy Barb.  It is narrower as it was fastened to the sidewalk rather than the steps.  Hard to explain but we have a railing now that's the main thing.  Don't want anyone falling or losing their balance.


Now it's Sun. aft. the 8th & I'll get this finished.  Since church is at 9:30 for the summer I can read the Buff. paper before lunch.  I'm sending 2 articles I think might interest you.  One on Frank Lloyd Wright's window displays in Buff.  And the one by an intern Dr. who has an article monthly & I fins them very interesting.  May you will - interesting story on "smells".


The Mets didn't have it last nite & lost to L.A.  Better luck this aft.  They come on - oops they are already on & I missed the first 10 min - how could I do that, esp. when I was watching the "enemy"!!!

Barb finished the outside door in the little room upstairs.  Now she's working on preparing the tin roof for painting.

Betty Casey told me her son Mike decided to go to college 20 years after high school.  Had served in Vietnam so he got the G.I. Bill & he graduated with honors from one of the U.W. schools.  He lives in Eau Claire.  I think he's in some kind of youth work.  I'm sure you remember him.

School starts here the 31st.  When do the boys go back to school.  Is Andy getting excited about going to a new school.  Will Eddie be coming home instead of after school - can't think of the correct term, but you know what I mean - I hope.

Better end this.

No comments:

Post a Comment