Friday, August 9, 2013

Thursday, February 3, 2005


As I look outside, I see snow flurries & I tho't that report was sunshine & clear for today.  The temp is 32.

Last Mon.  Barb & I went to Jamestown.  No tax on clothes for a week.  I bo't a pair of slacks.  Barb got a treadmill at Seats but it won't be delivered until Mar 4.  It was on sale. After getting groceries, we decided against eating lunch there & came home.

Dale says they use the flash drive working with cars.

Last Sun. Ted & Pat Benson came to church with me.  Afterwards we went to Perkins to eat.  We had a nice visit.  In June Ted celebrates his 50th year of ordination & they celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  Their children are planning a party for them.

Last nite Kim was telling about a 9th grade boy who would be in one of her classes this semester.  Passing in the hall, he told he he'd be in one of her classes.  She answered and I expect you to behave in my class or you'll be sent to the office.  She's been waiting for him to misbehave but he hasn't & it has surprised her.  He has even been very helpful to her -- putting things away, etc.  I guess if they teacher expects you to behave, one can.  They have 2 classes going in the gym & he has the other teacher.  He doesn't behave & is constantly being yelled at.  Guess you have to demand respect.

It's 9:15 & I don't hear Barb yet.  Now I do.  I clean the bathroom & do a load of towels.  Her time clock & my time clock don't get together.

Our organist resigned to care for her family.  19 year old grandson in Erie whose mother died.  Last Sun. a young man played & did well considering the liturgy is new to him.  He plays very well so I hope we can keep him.

I plan to try the potatoes you made except I'm not sure if I'll use feta cheese.  Maybe I've seen it in the stores.  I don't know.

I'm not much of a worker anymore.  I did get the bathroom cleaned & the towels are in the washer.  I've been playing Solitaire & I have a puzzle on the card table.  I like to drink coffee & be lazy.

Last nite for supper I fixed chicken, mashed potatoes, corn pudding & apple pie for dessert. As long as I know the menu, it's not a job.  The job is planing meals & trying to make it interesting.  I was going to try a macaroon pie but I stuck to what I know they like.  I'm enclosing the recipe.  I got ads from Better Homes & Garden cookbook.  It was a lower price so I sent for it.  I like to "read" recipe books.

In yesterday's paper an article by a Coop. Extension person remembered wash day as a child.  It bro't back memories.  Mon. was washday & if it was nice weather the clothes line filled the back yard.  In the winter they hung in the basement.  It was the wringer washer. One summer friends were driving to Maine & offered to take my mother & 1 child.  I was the lucky one.  We visited my Uncle Carl & family in Caribou, Maine.  They had a potato farm & 5 children.  Oldest one married & living at home & working with his dad.  At home Gen decided to do some washing & got her hands stuck in the wringers.  Don't remember if she finished the wash.  She didn't break any bones.  I remember her saying she sat at the piano to exercise her hands.  Dad dated my cousin Carlotta (Maine cousin) before he met me, but I guess she wasn't the one for him.

It's Fri A.M.  Just got my hair "done".  It's beautiful out -- will be in the 40's.  Enjoyed your M. Monroe discourse.  She had it all but still wasn't fulfilled.  Anything more happen about that 9 yr. old boy.  It's so sad.  Something is lacking in his life.  Discipline most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment